Sunday 31 August 2014

A Salad in Disguise!

After last weeks success with Heck sausages ( http://heckfood.co.uk/sausages/) we quickly defrosted another pack! This time we went for the "Family Favourite" pork sausages.


They were dunked in batter (care of Glutafin white mix) and turned into Toad in the Hole! (I promise there are sausages in there...really!!).


We liked the pork sausages but not as much as the fancy chorizo ones mentioned on last weeks blog! Nevertheless, they did a great job being the "toads" in our Monday night dinner!

Continuing on the sausage theme (why not eh?!) Dale cooked up a storm at our church BBQ last night.  As any Coeliac will tell you, the thought of a BBQ send shivers my spine.....sausages / burgers...prob not GF.....burger buns/ hot dog rolls...not GF....mega cross contamination issues.....arghhhh! So the best thing to do is to put a Coeliac and her husband in charge (ok, mainly the husband...but I like to sound important!) My Black Farmer sausages (http://www.theblackfarmer.com) were cooked first, my Sainsbury's FreeFrom baguette was cut first (and far away from any of the evil GF white rolls!!), Sainsbury's cheese slices, fried onions and Heinz Ketchup......Yey! BBQ success...


(My ketchup exploded by the way....don't normally go quite as mad as this!!) and the best thing was....some regular "gluten eaters" ate the rest of the Black Farmer sausages and never knew the difference......in fact there were several comments about how nice they were!

So, I had a weird flavour combo yesterday and I thought I'd share it with you! I met some friends for lucnch at Pizza Express and was delighted to see that one of their "specials" on the Summer Menu was a GF Summer Salad. Happy to try something new I decided to give it a go.


An innocent looking salad right? BUT, look a little closer...yes....that's right.....you really can see blueberries and strawberries hiding inbetween chunks of chicken and goats cheese! I'm not entirely sure my salad knew what it was! Was it my main course or my pudding....or was it like a "2 in 1 combo" a bit like " Wash and Go" shampoo?! The verdict.....well....it wasn't unpleasant and at times I really did think I might be enjoying it! However, I'm not entirely convinced! Although, I think Pizza Express deserve a bit pat on the back for adding new (albeit slightly odd) dishes to their menu!

I also, couldn't quite make my mind up about these...


I must confess I'm not a huge "cake mix" fan (ooo hark at me, you'd think I was some master baker or something!) I can't help thinking that generally they are a lot of money when you already have all the ingredients sitting in your cupboards! Nevertheless, as a sucker for something new so I thought I have a go!

Looking at the instructions I was already slightly annoyed! Call me old fashioned but butter should be measured in grams right?! Not spoons!! And milk......millilitres yeah?! I don't do " cups" I'm afraid! So, after some quick online conversions I was good to go!

All was going swimmingly until I dared to lick the bowl....bluergh!! Surely, the whole joy of cake baking is licking the bowl / spoon but this spoon licking experience just left me disappointed....not nice....I'm warning you now so don't try it!

Anyway...ta daaaaaaa!


I left them in a few mins longer as they weren't browning amd anaemic muffins don't really float my boat. Keen to taste (especially after my bowl licking!), I was pleasantly surprised! I added the chocolate chips myself and I'm glad I did as they wouldn't have been very sweet without them. Infact, if I made them again I would probably add something sweeter like raisins or honey / syrup! They have quite a chewy texture, which isn't unpleasant! Dale and I are happily muching our way through the batch. The packet also suggests the mix can be used for scones and I can't help thinking that the texture would better suited for that purpose.

Well, sad times....this is a sad, sad week as the summer hols are nearly over and the new term is about to begin. So, it is with a slightly heavy heart that a wish you all a lovely week and if I survive the start of term I will see you all next week! Xx (@lizprice79)









2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy having a read-through of your latest blog posts. Brilliantly funny and informative. I'm with you on packet mixes by the way. It's not like I scorn people who use them (I wasn't averse to Betty Crocker in my pre-coeliac days) but they rarely turn out as nice, in my experience, as something you make yourself! Anyway, pleased to hear the BBQ was a success and that you're enjoying the Udi's muffins!
    P.S - Strawberries and blueberries?!!?! In a SALAD!!?!?!?!!?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you for that! It's really lovely to hear you comments :0) Yes, I am only a novice baker but baking from scratch is definitely more satisfying! Hmmm, I must confess I'm not completely sold on the strawberries and blueberries either....worth a try though eh?!?!? ;0)

    ReplyDelete