Sunday 17 August 2014

Impressed!

I'm going to make a prompt start this week because I can't wait to tell you about Cote! Good service deserves praise but good GF service should be shouted from the rooftops! So, here I am.....shouting! I'd read other reviews of Côte (http://www.cote-restaurants.co.uk) before and knew they were all geared up for the GF people of the world, so when the opportunity arose to try them this week I jumped at the chance! I emailed the restaurant before our visit and they responded immediately with a whole GF menu attached! A whole menu!! Yes, it's true, there are choices!!! I was already impressed!


When I got to to the restaurant, I noticed the menu had the usual small print ....cooked in a kitchen where gluten is present...etc...etc but that's fairly standard these days and I felt confident they knew what they were doing, so I went forth and ate!! I ordered the haddock wrapped in bacon with pea purée and it was delicious!


I was only sorry that I was too full to try one of the many puddings on offer! I will definitely be back....and I will be having pudding!! Great service, great GF menu, great food and great to have choices! To conclude.....it was great!

I dabbled in my first bit of summer hols baking this week? Much to Dale's disgust I decided to give courgette bread a go and was pleasantly surprised! I'm still waiting for Dale to summon up the courage to try it! 


The bread was quite sweet and not at all courgettey! Another success from this GF baking book "Gluten Free Baking" by Micaeal McCamley. I particularly like this book because it is easy enough for a novice like me to follow! I also rate it because you don't need 100 different types of GF flour mixes to make the recipes, most call for general GF plain / self raising flour which is the kinda cooking language I speak!

I'm still wading my way through my Allergy & Free From Show stash! I well and truly stocked up! This week I tried the Wellaby's Chips and Dips (http://www.wellabys.com)


I love Wellaby's chips so when I saw this nifty little number I got quite excited! Chips + Red Pepper Hummus =Result! It doesn't need to be refrigerated, so it's perfect for snacking or even to have in your bag for lunch on the run.....even better for travelling! The opportunities are endless....thanks Wellaby's for a great tasting idea! These are definitely going to become regular cupboard fillers!

After discovering my love of Venice Bakery Pizza Bases (http://shop.venicebakery.co.uk) I was keen to try their flatbreads.....the perfect accompaniment to my Ilumi Cardamon Chicken (http://www.ilumiworld.com)


Just as impressed with the flatbread as the pizza bases! I used it as a naan bread which worked well but I think we cooked them too long and they were a bit crispy! They would be great topped as a mini pizza or open sandwich. I'm just going to need to buy some more to experiment!!!

Finally, I am pleased to announce that Glutafin Penne Pasta (http://www.glutafin.co.uk) makes a great substitute for macaroni in macaroni cheese! I convinced Dale to step away from the meat and whip up a delicious (and very calorific) mac n cheese!


Glutafin penne, lots of cheese, cornflour, lots of cheese, cornflakes crumbled on top and....lots of cheese!! The ultimate comfort food....mmmmmmmm!!

Well, that's me done for another week! Have a good one! (@lizprice79) x






No comments:

Post a Comment