Sunday 10 August 2014

Should Be OK?!!

So, back to earth with a bump! New York seems a dim and distant memory; the photos are in the album, the washing done and put away, holiday souvenirs have been given out and the "post hol gym routine" has started! Sooo, I could blog about the endless supplies of fruit, veg and, low fat cottage cheese and fat free yogurt that I have been gloomily munching on since my return BUT that's not my style!! So, here are a few little treats I have discovered in my moments of weakness this week!

My "I'm not eating any more cake now" got off to a good start we visited Dale's family in Wales at the weekend. I was presented with these


Yey! Well, I had gone a whole 24 hours without cake so I deserved a little treat right?! I love presents and if the present happens to be cake.....well it'd have been rude not to try one (or both!!). Udi's (http://udisglutenfree.co.uk) have extended their range recently which is very exciting! I'm a fan of their choc / toffee muffin duo that was in their initial range, so was pleased to see another option had been added! The blueberry muffins were no disappointment. Soft, moist, little bit sticky, juicy blueberries......yep, I'd reccommend them! Well done Udi's, keep the new products coming please!

Whilst in Wales Dale and I tried out the local Beefeater! I haven't been to one for years! We didn't know what they were like for GF but we were up for a challenge!

The server who met us happily produced the usual ring binder with dietary information in it.


Thank goodness for the info because he didn't have a clue! He told me that most of the meat would be ok and that the chips "should be ok"?! Makes you feel confident doesn't it!? When questioned further, it became apparent that the onion rings were fried in the same oil as the chips sooooo......chips are not ok!! I don't mind people not knowing but please don't guess! Go and ask in the kitchen to make sure  but making it up as you go along just adds to my anxiety! Anyway, armed with the trusty spreadsheet I ordered gammon, pineapple and rice. It was ok, I wouldn't rave about it but there wasn't anything terribly wrong with it either. Beefeater.....go if you're pushed for somewhere to eat BUT there are plenty of places offering better quality food, who are more knowledgeable about dietary requirements that you could go to instead!

Being on school holidays means I have finally had the time to track down the Tesco Lifestyle Food Fair! At last! I've read so much about it I was desperate to find one myself! It's a great idea and just a shame it's not at all Tesco stores. However, if you haven't been yet, you have until the end of August to have a look! This can only be a good thing and something worth supporting. Surely, if it proves popular they will do it again or even bring in the more successful brands in to store more regularly!


Here is Dale pondering what to buy (or possible just wishing I'd hurry up and choose what I want!!). I bought a few bits to try.....most of which are still lurking in my cupboard for another day. However, I did buy Natures Store Coconut Bars


They have an unusual consistency but it's not unpleasant! Tasty....if you like coconut and a nice change from the usual cereal bars. I would definitely buy them again! 

Well, as I dumped the cake (apart from the muffins!), for rice cakes I thought I'd try these jazzier versions I found in Sainsburys! 


I have blogged about Kallo before but was pleased to stumble across some new flavours while doing my weekly shop! They don't state "gluten free" but the ingredients are fine and they only say "made in a factory that handles soya and sesame seeds". Based on this, I was happy to go forth and munch! The caramel ones are great for my sweet tooth! They may well be too sweet for some but when I get a chocolate craving these are a pretty good substitute. (Ok, who am I kidding, it's no substitute for chocolate but if I keep telling myself it is, maybe I'll start believing it?!) The paprika rice cakes are great for lunch, just a litle more pizazz than a plain rice cake!

Well, I'm off before I turn into a rice cake! Have a great week everyone! (@lizprice79) xx






No comments:

Post a Comment