Sunday 29 June 2014

It's pasta but not as you know it!

I am writing to you today with jelly legs! In our wisdom, Dale and I decided to join the gym!!  We have just returned from our second fat busting session and I am feeling slightly weak at the knees and a little pathetic! However, on the flip side it's been a loooong time since my stomach has felt "normal enough" to take on a session at the gym so... long may it continue!

Anyway, enough fitness...on with the food!!

I luuuurve presents and I luuuuuurve food so when my lovely friend presented me with this to try....


....I couldn't wait to give it a go! Organic Mung Bean Fettuccine bought in Wholefoods I believe. I would be lying if I said Dale shared my enthusiasm for mung bean pasta, infact it took a few months of coaxing to finally get him to rustle this up!


The "pasta" held together well and didn't go sticky! I thought it had a mild, pleasant taste and with the sauce could easily be mistaken for regular pasta. Dale on the other hand would give you a different review! Nevertheless, I am sure if he hadn't know it was made of mung beans he probably would have been none the wiser!

Yesterday, my friend and I had a theatre day out in London! (Wooohooooo for Wicked!!). We decided on "Eat" for lunch. I must say I found the GF selection rather disappointing. Two salads that would have been ok but both had cold potatoes in so that ruled them out for me. The only other choice I could find was the mushroom soup. No other hot choice that I could see and no GF sandwich option! Quite surprising as so many chains are offering GF sarnies these days! Anyway, I went with the only option of mushroom and water chestnut soup.


Steaming hot and full of flavour, pretty impressed. Just a shame there weren't more options!

Dinner was at Hush at Holborn (http://www.hushbrasseries.com). As we were on a pre theatre offer our set menu was quite limited! The waitress was really helpful and reassuringly knowledgeable about what would be suitable for me. I opted for Caesar salad (no croutons) with poached egg and bacon to start.


Once I got over the shock of the poached egg being cold, I really enjoyed it. It was actually quite filling but don't worry I forced down a main course too!!!

Cod with bearnaise sauce a green beans (the fries are coated in flour so were not suitable).


It was all really lovely and cooked beautifully. It may have been a limited choice but I certainly didn't feel short changed. I look forward to returning to Hush and maybe sampling something from their "non pre theatre" menu in the future!

Enough savoury! Here are a few sweet treats to keep you going! 

Dale found these posh new Taste the Differene lollies in Sainsburys last week. He came back with pink lemonade flavour (which I opted for) and a mojito style flavour!


I really enjoyed! You can't go wrong with an ice lolly can you but this was a different a sort of "grown up" lolly! I pinched a bit of Dale's mojito one too and that was also pretty good! Think they may become freezer favourites!

Mum surprised me with this today!


She's getting a good eye for this GF lark! Maybe she's in training for our trip next week to the Allergy and Free Show! Food Heaven you are fab! We all love your cheesecake and often have one for pudding after Sunday dinner! This ice creamy / sorbety dessert is (as the name suggest) delicious! Gluten, dairy, egg and nut free...it's fab and tastes every bit as creamy as ice cream! Again, as the name suggests, it's Food Heaven!

Well, assuming I don't seize up completely or just loose complete control of all my limbs,I will see you again next week! Have a good one everyone! (Lizprice79)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment