Sunday 15 June 2014

Cheat week!

This week has been cheat week! Dale has either worked late or been unwell (how dare he!!) which has resulted in me eating whatever I can find that can be reheated in the oven or blitzed in the microwave! Shocking, I know but old habits die hard! Also, in the name of blogging it was great to try some new things.... Good excuse eh? So here goes!

Cheat week got off to a good start with a trip to Byron Burger last weekend. Now whether this visit was a success of not will depend on whether you ask Dale or me! 

Pro's according to Dale- one of the best burgers (like, ever!!), burger cooked to a "perfect" medium rare, good onion rings and "the best choice of craft beer not in a craft beer shop that you will find"!

Con's according to Liz - not a huge GF choice, no GF buns, had to have "skinny" option ie with salad not fries (kinda wanted the fatty option but didn't have the choice), after being forced into having the salad it could have been a slightly more exciting salad, my "well done" burger was so well done it was like cardboard!


I was a little disappointed whereas Dale raved about his experience! From a GF point of view I think Byron need to up their game. After all, GBK have got GF burgers and buns on a GF menu and Honest Burgers are nearly entirely GF (including fries, veggie burger and onion rings!!). If I have a burger craving again, I probably won't be returning to Byron. On the other hand I reckon Dale would be there I a flash!

Thank goodness for my well stocked Ilumi cupboard cos boy did I need it this week! Nevertheless, it gave me a good chance to try some of the new dishes I ordered! 

Northern Style Chicken and Mushroom with Tilda Wholegrain Rice


I liked this. It packed a bit more of a punch than I was expecting but it was tasty. I think I need to take more care over looking at the "hot scale" when I do my next order!

Basil and Garlic Chicken Meatballs in Tomato Sauce with a mixture of different GF pasta!


So far this has been my favourite of the new meals. Packed with flavour and really filling. This will definitely be on my re ordering list!

Venison Casserole with Pancetta and Sloe Gin

 
This was a bit of a gamble for me beause I'm not a huge venison fan. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The meat was really tender and it tasted great. Dale even commented on how lovey it smelled while it was cooking!

Dale seems to have got in on the Ilumi act! Serves me right for shouting about them for so long! I've noticed him rummaging through my stash and merrily munching his way through some of my curries! Ilumi, you will be pleased to know you have a new non GF convert! Between muches were comments along the lines of "mmmmm, really impressed" and " I might start taking some of these to work with me"!!! Looks like I'm going to have to share my special cupboard PAH! (www.ilumiworld.com)

On with the cheats....

I was interested to read a good review about Sainsburys Free From Chicken Steaks soooooo not wanting to miss out I had a try...


I real kiddie dinner eh?! BUT I really, really enjoyed it lol! The chicken steaks are great! I love the Sainsburys Free From chicken nuggets so these were much the same but on a larger scale. Think they may become a firm freezer favourite!

On the kiddie theme.....it had to be done...


Young's (Free From wheat and gluten) fish fingers. The irony is I never liked fish fingers as a child! They clearly appeal to my more refined palette?! I really enjoyed these too, chucked on some ketchup combined with my sweet potato and carrots et voila! (thank goodness for the Tefal Actifry otherwise I would have actually needed to get a saucepan out!?!)

So, there ends cheat week! Normality will return and I will wave good bye to my breaded meals for five year olds....well for the time being anyway!!

Have a great week everyone x (@lizprice79)

No comments:

Post a Comment