Sunday 30 March 2014

No Substitute (No GF Love)

Being Gluten Free is certainly eye opening and 2 years into this GF lark I'm still amazed at how GF people and the allergy community can be treated as second class citizens out and about in the real worldof dining! Please let me share my latest experience....as I tell my boys at school, it ends happily so please bear with the sad parts!

My lovely, lovely regular readers will know that a couple of weeks ago Dale was jibbed out of a meat feast extravaganza when the "cave man cafe" was fully booked. We ended up at the superb La Polenteria which was right up my street but left Dale a little wanting. So, being the good wife that I am I suggested we celebrated our 4 year anniversary by trying again and arriving early to tuck into half a BBQ'd cow! Hurrah! Success! At 11.30 Saturday morning we had our choice of table at Bodean's!!! http://www.bodeansbbq.com 


I asked for the allergy menu and was presented with the usual spreadsheet


Possibly should come with a complementary magnifying glass but hey ho at least they had something!

To be fair there was quite a lot to choose from so all was going swimmingly until...

....I suggested the unthinkable! My "burnt ends" come with fries and chips. The fries are cooked in a separate fryer (GF Brownie point awarded) but they are frozen meaning I cannot eat them. ( Coeliac Disease has left me with a weird re heated potato problem! Fab eh?!) so I confidently asked to swap my fries for rice.....ooooo problem! Uh oh! Policy says no substitutions allowed. "Computer says no"! Yep, even though I can't eat the food I have to pay for the food as well as additional money for the rice WHAAAAAT?! I hear you shout! Oh yes, GF madness! Got me humming  Estelle "No Substitute" song though lol!

Ok to cut a long story short (and not dwelling on the fact the food was cold and had to be sent back...hence no photo!) we spoke to the manager. She was very understanding, refunded the money and gave us our drinks free! So that's the happy ending! Well happy-ish....it shouldn't be that difficult though should it?!

Needless to say, we probably won't be rushing back!

However, on a happier note,  just round the corner is The Hummingbird Bakery....now we're talking!


"Made Without Wheat" Red Velvet Cupcake woweeeee! De-lic-ious!!! Can't say anymore than that but my oh my I WILL CERTAINLY be returning here! 

Anyway, found a couple of new things this week that I thought I'd share


These are definitely worth a look. I tucked into them assuming they were chocolate rice cakes (I know, I know, it says corn cakes but I just assumed ok!?) and had I a lovely suprise! Choc covered rice cakes are really tasty and super moreish...and only 118 calories (per serving?!).


I'm so used to tubs of frozen yogurt saying "contains wheat/ gluten" or "May contain....", that I double and triple checked the allergy advice on these little Lick pots! But nope, not a sign so I bought two! This banana and honey flavour pot is sweet and creamy (and fat free!!!!). Found them in Sainsburys and will definitely stock up next time I'm there. Can't wait to try the other flavours!

Well, I'm back into London a couple more times this week trying out some more GF establishments! Here's hoping its a more successful experience than yesterday! Have a good week everyone! X




No comments:

Post a Comment