Saturday 5 April 2014

A Tale of Two Restaurants

This week I took my life into my hands! I braved the smog and the Saharan sand to venture into the big smoke not once but twice!

Tuesday was hysterical and a prime example of what a first class ditz I can be! I had been invited to a GF event at The Hummus Bros. Being the keen bean that I am I arrived dead on 6.00 with my "gluten eating" friend who had come along to enjoy the GF ride! 



We were met by smiley and helpful staff who seated us and brought us menus...so far so good.....but no sign of an "event". Hmmmmmm?! Not wanting to come across as fussy (let's face it, requesting GF food can be tricky enough at times) but also not wanting to miss out on "the event", I queried what was going on. I was met by smiles and reassurance they would find out what was happening....clearly they didn't have a clue!

To cut a long story short I would like to commend the amazingly kind, helpful, patient and smiley staff at The Hummus Bros, Wardour St who ensured I had a lovely GF eve.......DESPITE BEING IN THE WRONG BRANCH!!!  Doh!!! Not my finest moment but hey...we kept smiling!

GF event or not The Hummus Bros offer a variety of GF food and even stock GF bread as an alternative to pitta.


Hummus with chicken and guacamole. It looked and tasted like DS bread but couldn't say for certain. Staff were clearly knowledgeable as they checked whether I would like my bread toasted as it is a shared toaster with the pittas. My friend threw herself into the occasision and dined GF for the night. She was impressed!! Yey!

They also serve what they call a GF brownie. I would say it was more torte like in texture but whatever it was, it was deliciously tasty and light! It slipped down a treat despite being stuffed full of Hummus!


My second trip to London was to sample the much raved about Wahaca. Dale and I went back to Wardour Street to try out the GF menu I have read so much about.

To be honest I wasn't overly impressed. Not anything to do with the actual restaurant or the staff but their particular style of eating doesn't really suit me.

It was great to see a separate GF menu and my server was happy to inform the kitchen of my requirements. I ordered one of the Steet Food (smaller plate) options with a side of rice. I understand the Street Food is meant to come out and different times but having my rice a good 5 minutes before anything else arrives just doesn't make sense to me.


I also had to send my steak tacos back as they were cold. By the time they arrived back on my table my rice had well and truly seen better days! Bit of a strange set up and a little too spicy by my standards. Maybe I was just unfortunate but it was interesting to see the table next to me order the same dish and leave it!

Anyway, good news....they redeemed themselves when I found out the salted caramel ice cream was GF!


I wouldn't rush back to Wahaca but it's great to see they are doing good work in the GF world. Nevertheless, I couldn't recommend The Hummus Bros enough. Look them up 
http://www.hbros.co.uk it seems they have several branches?!! I can't vouch for the other branches but the Wardour Street one is fab!

Well it's the Easter hols (woop woop wooooop!!) and I'm off to Portugal for the week. I look forward to letting you all know what Lisbon has to offer the GF world! Wish me luck!!! Xx (@lizprice79)

No comments:

Post a Comment