Sunday 23 March 2014

Gluten Free Rhyme Time

While collecting my ideas for this weeks blog post my "Primary Teacher Mode" suddenly kicked in! It's an annoying trait (so I have regularly been told!) but it just can't be helped! So before I knew it I was merrily humming away to all the nursery rhyme classics, I know.....I know maybe I've worked with 4 year olds for too long but this week I dedicate my post to a trip down memory lane .....soooo are you sitting comfortably?!!

When Goldilicks went to the house of the bears, oh what did her blue eyes see?.......

Well, traditionally not GF buckwheat and rice porridge! BUT hey ho you never know! As currently I cannot eat oats I have been keen to find a suitable porridgey replacement. Sainsburys Freefrom seem to have cracked it. Ok, now prepare yourself it doesn't look pretty...


....but actually I really, really like it! Pour milk over the top amd blitz in microwave for a couple of mins depending on the consistency you prefer! I have been experimenting with adding raisins, blueberries and agave syrup....all good and a great filling substitute for the real thing. Kind of rice puddingy in texture which, for me, can only be a good thing!

Five fat (GF) sausages in a frying pan...

Hmmm doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it?! All hail the fab Marks and Spencer's AGAIN!! They earned super brownie points over the Christmas period with their excellent selection of GF party food and the GF fabulousness just keeps coming! Dale proudly came home with these on Monday (just like a prehistoric cave man providing the meat for his good lady!)



Really, a fancy frankfurter. Great texture with a lovely peppery herby mix going on! They were crying out for a hot dog roll but sadly we didn't quite think that part through! Well done M&S again, you are doing a great job of making your "normal" food GF and it is hugely appreciated among the GF world! Please, please, PLEASE keep it coming!

Pease pudding hot, pease pudding cold....

Ok, not quite pease pudding but I'm loving Muller rice at the moment. They really and truly are delicious hot or cold and a great calcium / carb provider (both of which I was told I had to increase). Obviously....to be enjoyed as part of a balance diet etc etc etc.....but loving them none the less!

Jack and Jill went up the hill....

Have you heard of "A Girl Called Jack"? 


Apparently she blogs under the same name but she has totally passed me by.....until now! What a great cook book! The cover states "...delicious and budget recipes", couldn't have put it better myself! Dale has cooked a few already and we have already noticed a reduction in our food bill! It is not a GF cookbook but with a few relatively easy substitutions that problem is solved! So far we have tried "Not Meatballs"


Aubergine meatballs....substituted regular breadcrumbs in the recipe for Newburn Bakehouse white roll bread crumbs and served with Glutafin spaghetti.

And.... "Pork Kokkinisto"


Naturally GF so no prob here! Served with small new potatoes (cooked in the Tefal Actifry....of course!)

Super impressed with this book for GF and non GF people alike! Dale has several more pages marked for this week and I certainly can't wait to sample!

Have a great week everyone! X (@lizprice79)












No comments:

Post a Comment