Sunday 2 March 2014

A Week of Firsts!

This week I did something only fellow Coeliacs will understand....I bulk bought breakfast cereal (and was actually quite proud of myself!!). I recently discovered Eat Natural Buckwheat Cereal! This brings double joy to my heart as all the other Eat Natural products contain nuts (another no go in my diet!!) so to find a product that looks a little museli / granola-ish without containing nuts, oats or anything gluteny was cause of much celebration! Only trouble was I could only get it in Tesco....argh.... Same old prob....don't get to Tesco much, when I do go, they don't always have what I want in stock etc etc etc arghhhh! So I did what I thought best and placed my order with Amazon!


Not quite sure where I will keep 6 packets of cereal but hey, they won't be hanging around for too long because this is delicious! Not only tasty but soooo filling too! I even had to break my cereal + two pieces of toast rule with this one......only room for 1 piece of toast....what a shocker! 

Continuing on the brekkie theme.....we had our Sainsburys shopping delivered this week. Disaster struck when my Newburn Bakehouse seeded loaf had been substituted. I peeped into the blue plastic substitution bag with an air of nervousness (always the fear some bright spark will have replaced my GF loaf with a full on gluten riddled sliced white)..... But I breathed a sigh of relief as I saw a Genius sliced brown loaf! Ok, not quite what I wanted but it was in the right sort of area and as I hadn't actually tried the brown Genius loaf I was up for giving it a go!


As you can see a nice looking bit of toast eh?! Toasted really well and held together. Good sized slices too. Had a better consistency toasted than non toasted, although I still found it a little sticky while I was chewing it. Wasn't my seeded loaf of choice but a great alternative and I would definitely buy again if I wanted a brown loaf. Also, it's been open for 2 days now and the slices are still in one piece....not always the norm with GF bread!

I finally got round to finding and trying the BFree wraps (in Asda).I was pleasantly surprised! We bought them for fajitas and they were great. Couldn't really tell they were GF and Dale enjoyed them just as much as me.


Used here with Discovery World Salsa and Fajita mix. I also tried the wraps for lunch....they were ok but not as great. I think I wanted to put too much filling in (what a surprise!!), which led to a rolling issue! Nevertheless, if you have a small appetite or if you fancy fajitas....these are for you!

Thursday saw a very excited me and a not so excited Dale go to a Gluten Free night at The Brookmans http://www.brookmanspub.co.uk in Brookmans Park, Hertfordshire. Well done, woohooooo, congratulations, woop woop etc to The Brookmans for putting on a night like this. It's great to see local places doing their bit for the GF world and I was thrilled to support it.

We had a good night. It was such a novelty to be presented with an extensive menu, all of which I could choose from. Such a rarity these days! The menu had a wide selection of choice from pizzas, to burgers to pub grub classics like Kiev and fish and chips.

We had a slightly shaky start when I doubled checked with the waitress that the frying oil was fresh. She didn't think it was and it would depend on how severe my "allergy" was.....argh!!! Ok, well, I didn't feel it was the time or place to discuss the finer points of Coeliac Disease but I did ask if she would clarify this.....thankfully when she returned she explained she had got it wrong and all oil was fesh for GF night! Phew! Big sigh all round! Maybe this should have been explained to staff beforehand as I expect many Coeliacs would want to double check this!

So we both had the Scotch egg to start


Really nice, tasty and a novelty....haven't had a Scotch egg for years!

Dale had GF burger and chips which I thought looked pretty good...there was a bit or burger envy going on I'm afraid....


.....especially those onion rings! Sadly, they were long gone by the time I thought to ask for a bite! Dale was particularly impressed with the bun (and he is a fusspot!!) it tasted good and held together which is more than I can say for a GBK burger I tried recently! However, I went for fish and chips...


.....they were nice but I wasn't blown away. The chips were good....very goooooood! I hardly ever have fried chips now so this was a real treat! The fish was ok, the batter could have been crisper (Dale stop reading now......Dale's GF battered fish is much better, lighter and crispier but shhhhhhh don't tell him!!....see previous blog posts for example!). The mushy peas were interesting...less mushy and more runny but as I don't like mushy peas or tartare sauce I'm not the best person to comment on this!

I was also a little nervous about the wooden block and possible cross contamination risks.  However, I'm sure dishwashers kill off most stuff and to be fair there was a layer of greaseproof paper covering most of the board sooooooo..

A big GF thumbs up to The Brookmans! I believe these nights will run on the last Thursday of every month. Please keep flying the GF flag and we will hopefully be back very soon!

Ok, well I'm off to enjoy another first.....a bit of Sunday afternoon peace and quiet while Dale is at the football! Have a good week everyone x




No comments:

Post a Comment