Sunday 2 February 2014

Something Old and Somethings New!


It struck me this week, that if there was ever a time to be GF it's now! Yes, I know I'm not GF by choice and of course I would love to not have Coeliac Disease but the last couple of years has seen the launch of more and more GF brands and products. We are only at the start of 2014 and I am already running between supermarkets like a headless chicken trying to get my hands on the new releases! Exciting times for GF foodies!

Which leads me into a little confession.... "My name is Elizabeth Price and I overspend on GF products"! After my rant last week about not being able to locate certain bread brands I finally stumbled across GF bread heaven in the shape of Tesco's in Potters Bar! I'm not going to confess how many packets of Udi's bagels, Newburn Bakehouse Thins and crackers I bought but let's just say I didn't get much change from a £20 note oooops!!!

So here are my thoughts on "somethings new" that I have tried this week....


Newburn Bakehouse seeded sandwich thins (http://www.newburnbakehouse.com). Loved the plain white thins but love these more. Big fan of all things seedy and these are no exception. Had them toasted for breakfast and as a sandwich for lunch.....just a little tip though....make sure you carry dental floss with you, those pesky seeds get everywhere!


It's ironic that the more thins I eat the fatter I become.....nevertheless the Newburn Bakehouse Fruity Thins with Orange have been great for breakfast. Don't be put off by the smell! As I opened the pack, it smelled slightly of cheap air freshner, as they toasted Dale exclaimed "Your breakfast things stink!" (Nice eh?!). Prepared to have to write a bad review I sampled cautiously only to be pleasantly surprised......they taste great! A nice alternatively to my fruit loaf for brekkie! (Note the thin on the left was a little too thin as it snapped it toaster!)

Continuing on the new theme I also enjoyed Ilumi's  (http://www.ilumiworld.com/products) new dish


Harissa Style Chicken in a Smoky Tomato Sauce with Tilda Pilau Rice. I'm really liking the new Morrocan inspired range from Ilumi. The smokiness made a nice change and it smelled delicious while it was cooking! I've just restocked my "Ilumi Cupboard"! As I open the overfilled cupboard door and it "rains" Ilumi pouches on my head, I have wonder whether it's time to reign in the GF food spending!!

I actually managed to drag my GF backside out of January hibernation and visited a few local eateries!

The Jolly Farmers http://www.mcmullens.co.uk/jollyfarmers in Enfield was very successful


I ordered spit roast chicken and salad to be "safe" but when I explained about my dietary needs I was given several options from the menu. The very helpful member of staff also explained they have a separate fryer for GF food and their new menu (out in a few weeks) will have GF food clearly labelled (in line with the new labelling legislation). Fab! I'll be back to check out that new menu soon!

Al Fresco in Cockfosters http://www.alfresco-restaurant.co.uk/gallery/Cockfosters were also very helpful. I emailed prior to my visit and was told there would be plenty to chose from or I could take my own GF pasta and they would be happy to cook it with my sauce of choice. I went for the Ossobuco and it really was delicious!




The only trouble was I was too stuffed to have pudding....well not entirely true... I shared strawberries with my friend but I would love to have investigated some of the other puds on the menu! Oh well, there's always next time!!

Now, I know I'm probably already preaching to the converted but I was excited to receive my new Coeliac UK Food Directory 


If there are any of you out there that haven't signed up to Coeliac UK (https://www.coeliac.org.uk/home/) what are you waiting for?! Go and do it now!!! Amazing support for Coeliacs, helpful advice on the end of the phone or on the website and I wouldn't be without my directory! All the do's and dont's of what to eat in one place...it makes life so much easier!

Finally, I end with something old! Lurking at the back of my "Ilumi Cupboard" I found a pouch of Tomato and Red Pepper soup. It's been there for a while cos I don't like tomato soup, to me it's "ill food", you know, what you have when you feel grotty! I don't know what possessed me to order it (my compulsive shopping for GF food strikes again!!) and equally I don't know what possessed me to try it BUT I did and wooohoooooo I'm mighty glad I did!


Ok, I have to admit it.....this doesn't happen often but...ahem....*cough, cough *.....I was wrong! There, I said it!!! And next time I need to "scratch my GF spending itch" I will be ordering some more!!

Soooooo old things, new things (red things, blue things.....oooops slipped into Dr Seuss sorry!!) have all been good! Bring on 2014 and the GF revolution! In a weird way, I'm enjoying the ride!









No comments:

Post a Comment