Sunday 26 January 2014

Free? No, you have to pay!



I really should start writing these little one liners down in a book. The life of a GF foodie is never dull and boy do you meet some funny restaurant staff along the way! Please let me explain about what led to this weeks one liner of the week!

In my previous Gluten Munching life when Dale and I were in the early days of our romance we used to regularly chow down in the Peri Peri Paradise that is Nando's (yep, we knew how to have a good time!). Sadly, after I started to feel I was turning into a lemon and herb chicken the novelty soon wore off and we hadn't been for ages! Until this week.....

I had already researched GF options online so felt I was pretty clued up as they seem to offer quite a lot of choice. So, Dale and I turned up and I asked to see the allergy information. The smiley waitress said if I chose what I wanted, they could check if it was GF when I ordered at the til. Errrrr......hang on a minute.....am I missing something?! How can I pick what I want until I know what I can have?! Anyway, rather reluctantly (and slightly less smiley!) she produced the Nando's Allergy Bible


Rather daunting at first as it slightly resembles someone's end of term dissertation! However, it is surprisingly easy to navigate your way through. I made my decision and asked Dale to specify that mine was to be GF (just as the book states!). Dale returned a little later mildly amused (and slightly irritated) as the poor server on the till who either got the wrong end of the stick or could not work out Dale's Welsh accent!! Apparently as Dale emphasised the importance of my GF food the server replied with today's classic quote..... "Free? No, you have to pay for it!" Lol, you gotta laugh eh?!

Anyway, I ended up with a very nice half a lemon and herb chicken with sweet poatao mash...


Looks a little like a car crash on my plate but it was very tasty! So, thank you Nando's for the GF options and thank you also for the free entertainment! 

Sooooo it seems I have taken on a new hobby.... Tesco crawling (ie going from one Tesco to another on the hunt for sought after GF stuff!) I finally managed to track down the new Newburn Bakehouse Sandwich Thins but have been unsuccessful in tracing any of the other new kids on the block in this range! Nevertheless, I'm super impressed with he thins! In true Masterchef styleeee let me introduce "Sandwich Thins 3 Ways"!


As cheese on toast. Toasted well, good consistency and tasted great!


As a sandwich. Held together really, really well! Was super impressed as I made the sandwich the night before to take to work. Fully expected it to have fallen apart or turned to soggy mush... but no! All good!


Toast and Jam for breakfast. Yep, still eating up that homemade jam that Dale lovingly made before Christmas!

Ok, now you may be wondering why it's "Sandwich Thins 3 Ways" when there are actually 4 in a packet. Sadly, by the time I reached day 4 the last ones had gone mouldy! I guess there is a lesson to be learnt here.....freeze the sandwich thins on day 1 and use as needed. Or......eat quicker?!?!!

Anyway, I am impressed and will definitely be buying again. Can't wait to track down the orange flavour as well as the new cracker thins... I will continue the search! Come on Tesco....if you've sold out, they've gotta be popular yeah?! So please buy in more!!!

Ok, I will end with some good news and some bad news...let's start with the bad! In my Tesco Crawl I have also been trying to track down Udi's bagels. After several tweets it seems no Tesco near me stocks them anymore! Waaaaaaaahhhhhh! Disaster.....we all know how I feel about a bagel! Come on Tesco, what's going on!? Also, why do all new GF products seem to launch in Tesco, why not give another supermarket a whirl?! Sainsburys would suit me down to the ground!

Anyway, good news time. I've just booked my place at the totally GF evening at The Brookmans http://www.brookmanspub.co.uk in Hertforshire! I am rather "over the top excited" about this event and just needed to share it with you! Any readers in the Herts area have a look! I think events like this should be celebrated and I hope it's well attended. It's not 'til the end of Feb but I can't wait to blog about it! I'll keep you posted!

Have a great week everyone and if anyone sees any bagels......please let me know! Xx





No comments:

Post a Comment