Sunday 19 January 2014

Gone But Not Forgotten

I've been so caught up in blogging about all the lovely Christmas food I've eaten over the last few weeks that it completely escaped my mind to mention a fab little restaurant I visited in early December. Our visit may have "gone" now but the meal was so delicious it certainly hasn't been "forgotten"! So I shall make amends now, as small local restaurants and retailers that cater for the GF diet always deserve a big shout out!! The only trouble is this little gem is not that local to me!

So, at the beginning of December Dale and I packed our umbrella's, macs, galloshes and wellies as we headed to the green, green grass of Dale's homeland. (South Wales, just incense you didn't guess from the clues!!). We decided to visit a little Italian restaurant that we used to frequent in my pre GF days called La Trattoria in Talbort Green. We phoned prior to our visit, explained my dietary needs and were reassured there would be things on the menu I could order and they even said that gluten free pasta would be an option! So here's what I had....



Porchetta with a side of mixed veg. I explained the whole wheat and gluten scenario to the waiter and they were able to adapt this dish so it was suitable (the regular sauce would be thickened with flour). The food was excellent and the staff were helpful and understanding. So, if you find yourself venturing along the M4 and you fancy a tasty Italian (I'm still talking about food here just incase you're wondering!!) then you can't go wrong with La Trattoria http://www.trattoriarestaurant.com They also run an excellent cookery school which Dale raves about....maybe I should attend?!

In a bid to inhibit the January munchies (ok, ok, I know....who am I kidding, I have "all year round" munchies!!) I have been looking for healthier, lower fat alternatives to chocolate and cake! Now, before you all pass out with shock please let me explain....there is ALWAYS room for cake and chocolate but when I discovered I was reaching for the nibbles on a daily basis I realised something had to be done. Not nibbling is NOT an option sooooo I had to look for alternatives. What do you think to these?



Baked chickpeas with mild chilli powder and paprika! Now I reckon you're probably pulling the same face my Mum and my lovely friend at work pulled when they saw me eating them! I may as well have said I was tucking into baked budgie or grilled goldfish as they stood aghast watching me munch away. But hey, give them a chance. I can't eat nuts so these are a great little snack and solved my 4.00pm munchies attack after the kids have gone home without me reaching for the chocolate tin! Result!!!

For anyone who is interested here's what you do....
1. Drain and dry a tin of chickpeas.
2. Sprinkle with your chosen spices.
3. Bake at 220 degrees for 20 mins.
4. Leave to cool.
5. Re bake for another 15 mins until crisp and crunchy!

Go on, have a go!! 

Friday was pizza night in the Price household. Thought we'd give the Glutafin pizza bases that I used to receive on prescription another try....it's been a while since we had a go and here's the result...


Sainsbury's own brand pizza sauce with Mediterranean veg and sweetcorn! An eclectic veg mix you may say but I enjoyed it! The pizza base....well...erm....it was ok. I had to swap my knife for a steak knife to help me get through it but it still required a large amount of sawing and arm ache (although I appreciate my pizza may be a little on the well done side). It tasted ok, a little chalky but passable. Think I may need to do a little more investigating in the GF pizza base line......hmmmm think I'll look forward to that research!!

Well, for those of you who think I've taken leave of my senses and had my sweet tooth extracted here's a little somethimg to end with. Just cos no week would be complete without a little sweetness I've been having a cheeky little nibble on these....


Jelly Belly (what I'll get if I keep nibbling!!) beans! Mmmmmm, only need a few to get that sweet fix AND a big wooohooooo for clear GF labelling!! Think other companies could definitely learn from this don'tcha think?!

Well, I'm off to bake some chickpeas......stop looking like that...they're fab....honest!!! Have a great week everyone! X







No comments:

Post a Comment