Sunday 9 February 2014

One Potato, Two Potato, Sweet Potato Roll!

This week marked a momentous occasion....not wanting to be out shone in the kitchen by Dale (Ok, let's face it, that ship sailed a long time a go!), I dusted off my apron and made tentative steps towards the oven. I had been inspired by a recipe I stumbled across while I was helping a friend find ideas for  GF + Vegan bread! I received a lot of help on Twitter and was given the following link to The Intolerant Gourmet's blog http://www.theintolerantgourmet.com/journal/2012/7/11/sweet-potato-rolls-gluten-free-vegan-dairy-free-egg-free-yea.html

The Sweet Potato Rolls looked delicious and I was determined to have a go! Undeterred by Dale rather unhelpfully turning his nose up at the idea of "sweet potato in a roll?!?!" I ploughed on regardless and am happy to say managed to wipe the sneer off his face! They came out just fine


Sooooo easy to make (oooops maybe I should have said how tricky they were thefore highlighting my skill in the kitchen lol!). As the recipe is vegan it uses an egg replacer, I just used 2 eggs and thankfully all was well. These were lovely when they were warm from the oven but we also had them warmed under the grill for breakfast and cold, like a bread roll with dinner


Dale was pleasantly surprised and even said he would like them again! Praise indeed! FYI the dinner above is fennel, chilli and pork sausage meat ragu with polenta......not made by me as Dale had well and truly returned to his domain by this time!

Another kitchen success this week has been baked plantain chips. In the search for a healthy mid week snack I thought I'd give this a go http://africanbites.com/?p=995

Again, easy peasey.....slice up the plantain on a mandolin (mind your fingers!! Note to self....don't do after a manicure!!) space out evenly on baking tray, spray with oil and sprinkle spices (we used paprika), bake at 180 degrees for 10 mins, turn and bake for another 10 mins. Crispy, tasty and perfect for guilt free snacking! (Note- green plantain is needed for this as it won't work if they are too ripe).


So, after enjoying eating out at Zizzi in my pre blogging life, I have at last managed a visit I can blog about!  Dale and I had a night out on Friday and enjoyed a pre theatre dinner at Zizzi in Victoria. How lovely not to be met with looks of surprise/ confusion/ annoyance when asked to see the allergy advice! I was presented with a rather trendy looking,magazine style booklet


How lovely again to have the information presented in a easy to use format.....no big ring binders, grids, or colour coded charts here. Just a plain and simple page per allergy, clearly stating everything I could have and not worrying about all the stuff I couldn't. I ordered GF pasta in a chicken and mushroom sauce


Tasty sauce, pasta held together well and I was stuffed! Well, ok, not that stuffed cos their gelato ice cream is GF too, so I thought it'd be rude not too. Anyway, I didn't want to hold my breath for GF ice cream in the theatre, so I stocked up while I could! Well done Zizzi fast, efficient, polite service with knowledgeable staff and delicious food. I will definitely be back!

Finally, I would like to share with you a little secret....you will definitely thank me for this! This week one of the little darlings in my care kindly shared their cough and cold germs with me, kids are good like that aren't they?! Interestingly enough, I get very few colds since being GF but as the annoying tickle set in on Wednesday I knew I needed to take action....I reached for my trusty, fail safe sore throat saver...


This honey is from Oliveology at Borough Market http://boroughmarket.org.uk/oliveology-2
I understand it has the same qualities as a Manuka but costs about half the price and, in my opinion tastes better too! A spoon full of this every so often and my tickly throat never developed any further. I have used this at the first sign of a cold over the last couple of years and this combined my my GF diet generally seems to keep things at bay! There, that's the secret...let's blitz those sniffles!! Now, don't get too upset if you don't live near Borough...you can buy online too! 

Soooooo I'm going to end with a little slushy moment.....just passed 5000 page views since I started blogging in September. Not many by some people standards but by mine it's a lot!!! I'm absolutely thrilled, thank you sooooo much for all the reads, shares, re tweets and follows....it means a lot! If you don't follow me on Twitter already and would like to me in the loop, you would be very welcome (@lizprice79). Have a great week everyone! Xx








No comments:

Post a Comment