Sunday 15 December 2013

How do you like your eggs in the morning?


......to be perfectly honest, I like them still in the box!! As I stagger out of bed at 6.00am the last thing I feel like doing is frying, poaching or scrambling! Therefore, I have a stash of quick, easy, GF, fail safe brekky combinations that I thought I would dedicate this blog to!

Back in the day, shortly after my diagnosis I struggled with eating carb heavy meals (even GF carbs!) In my pre GF days I was a cereal and toast kinda gal but I suddenly found I couldn't stomach even the GF equivalents. As a result the following is my regular breakfast staple.




Sainsburys Freefrom fruit loaf...light and not too "mixed spicey" but yet still masquerades as toast fairly well. I was also advised to eat live yogurt in the mornings and these are the best, tastiest GF yogs I have found (and low fat!!) which I usually eat with some sort of fruit mixed in (fresh or tinned I'm not fussy!)



Thankfully, a year and a half after my diagnosis I have found I can tolerate more carbs and if spaced out strategically, I feel better for it (energy levels really dipped when I cut them out!). I still have to plan when and how often I have them but it has meant I can add a little GF cereal or "proper toast" to my regular breakfasts.

Cereal, it seems, is a little like lipstick! I can't stop buying them but rarely use them....and only on special occasions! Here is a little selection from my cupboard...



Nature's Path O's- great substitute for all those Cheerios fans out there! Scarily crunchy, no chance of any soggy O's here! 

Nature's Path Maple Sunrise - Just recently tried this. Love it! It's certainly not for the faint hearted...wow this is a sweet cereal but it's right up my street! Really appeals to my sweet tooth but definitely limited to once a week!

Perkier Red Berry Flakes- Tasty and perhaps a more "grown up", healthier option! A great Perkier breakfast option for those who cannot eat the oats in their porridge. (Although their oat free porridge is pretty tasty too!)

Tesco Everyday Value Corn Flakes - Now, I'm ashamed to admit that this box is quite old. I really don't know if current boxes of this cereal are still GF but I hope they are! Great cornflakes and soooo much cheaper than the Freefrom equivalents!

As far as toast goes...well...there are so many great GF breads out there now and everyone seems to like different ones! However, my personal fave is the Newburn Bakehouse Seeded Loaf. It toasts really well, doesn't fall apart like some brands and freezes well too.


I am also partial (as some of you may remember!!) to a bagel or two! Udi's cinnamon and raisin bagels are great first thing in the morning.....jam is optional!!


You may notice the jam theme in the last couple of photos!? As I wrote my blog last week Dale was frantically stirring a bubbling pot, trying his hand at jam! 

 


Please ignore the mess, he is not known for being a tidy cook! The jam is fab and has become a regular accompaniment to my various toasts....makes a change to Flora, although once again I have to limit the sugar high to once (ok, maybe twice!!) a week!

Well, the Christmas hols are here and term is officially over til 2014....did you hear me whooping on Thursday?! So, here's to week one of the Christmas holidays!mCan't wait to tell you all about it next week! Have a good one! X




No comments:

Post a Comment