Sunday 8 December 2013

Gluten Free Envy!

Never mind the saying "The key to a mans heart is his stomach" , it is most definitely the key to mine!! Therefore, you can imagine my delight when a friend at work presented me with these on Tuesday morning!


What a great start to the day! I have been trying to get hold of some of these for weeks but my local Tesco doesn't seem to stock them. The most problematic thing about this delicious duo is that there are two different flavours in the pack so how do you know where to start?! I plumped for the toffee and saved the choc chip for Wednesday.... even a girl with my appetitie for sweet stuff has to pace herself! Well, I can't call it! Both of these were great! Soft, sweet, sticky.....mmmmm muffin heaven! You really could not tell that these are gf! Anyone would happily enjoy, they could unite the gf and non gf world!! Now, I just need to contact Tesco and get them stocking them in my local branch!

Dale's weekly cooking challenge was inspired by our last visit to GBK. Never one to be out done he decided to try and rival the GBK GF burger extravaganza we experienced a few weeks ago! And do you know what?! The boy did good!


Pretty impressive I reckon! Ok so here we have..... a homemade seasoned beef burger with bacon, caramelised onions and blue cheese (gf!!) all in a Sainsburys Freefrom white roll! Needless to say I didn't have any "sides"! Maybe he should go into business!?

So, Friday night was the staff Christmas party! I'm sure most Coeliacs would agree that the prospect of a gluten filled buffet fills me with dread! If it's not the pastry filled quiches, it's the cross contamination risk of an over excited gluten eater mixing his vol au vents with the ham and cheese platter! So, I girded my loins and contacted the venue before hand to see what they could do for me. They assured me the chef would organise something and plate it separately. After the fiasco of ill fitting shoes, ladders in tights and a dress that wasn't 100% right I tentatively approached the man in charge of our "do" and asked about my "special" plate! It was all I could do to stop myself from hugging him in delight when he not only knew what I was talking about but produced this....


Let's take a moment to give a big gf cheer to The Brookmans Pub, Brookmans Park, Hertfordshire http://www.brookmanspub.co.uk 

I experienced something I had never experienced since my diagnosis of Coeliac Disease.....Gluten Free Envy! Please note the size of the plate just behind mine....yep...that's right....that's what everyone else got heeeee heeeee! Don't get me wrong their food looked great and they could go up as many times as they liked but ha ha ha ha ha ha! There were more than a few envious glances at my gf feast! Thank you Brookmans Pub! Can't wait to come back and order from your regular menu! 

As I write this Dale is peering into a bubbling pot on the hob and even though he is muttering something under his breath, it doesn't appear to be "Hubble bubble toil and trouble!". Today he is experimenting with jam! So, as this week brings kids Christmas parties, entertainers, Christmas dinners, the glorious "break up" for the school holidays and a trip to Wales.... I will be fuelled by pure sugar! I will bring you a jam update next week.....have a good one everyone! X



No comments:

Post a Comment