Sunday 17 May 2015

May The GF Force Be With You

As well as Coeliac Awareness week and Star Wars Day, May also marks my Coeliac "birthday".... 3 years and still standing (well, most of the time!!). At the risk of sounding overly melancholy, these occasions provoke moments of reflection. I would be lying if I said the last 3 years have been easy....they haven't! I'd also be lying if I said I've got it cracked now and I feel fab all of the time....I don't! But, guess what....it's all ok.....I feel a whole lot better than I did, I CAN still eat out and most importantly I CAN still eat cake! My baking skills are constantly improving, Dale has become resident GF expert in Sainsburys where he works and I have become FAR more open minded about eating things I wouldn't have even looked at before (I'm thinking "bone broth, cougetti, mackerel etc)....it's not all bad!

One of the things that constantly surprises me is the ease at which I can find tasty GF options here in the capital! (I appreciate it may not be so easy elsewhere!) Good quality GF items are in the rise in supermarkets, street food stalls and restaurants...exciting times!

Borough Market never disappoints. During my last visit, Ethiopian Flavours (@ethiofllavours) caught my eye! Their clear allergy labelling impressed me and reeled me in! I went for the chicken, spinach and spilt pea option all on a bed of rice (or flat bread for those gluten eaters among us!) a hefty portion at a bargain price. (Approx a fiver)


I must confess to leaving some as I had already purchased my pudding (obviously!!!) and wanted to make sure I had room for it! Most GF Londoners will already be familiar with the work of the Free From Bakehouse (www.thefreefrombakehouse.com) but they are always a firm favourite whenever I'm at Borough. This time I picked up a slice of Treacle Tart.....oh yes, you heard me right!!


Ok, so it didn't fit in the box very well, which I appreciate doesn't make for the best picture but oooooohhhhhhh I tasted soooo good! If you have a HUGE sweet tooth like me then this would be right up you GF street. To be honest it even beat me and I had to give up just before the end!!! Worth every calorific mouthful!

Marks and Spencer are proving to be little GF gems! They have quietly crept into the FreeFrom market without any huge song or dance. They have a lovely "Made without...." section in their stores but also sneak some GF stuff into their regular sections too.....scotch eggs.. ..quiche.... sausages ....burgers... tortilla chips! Their labelling is usually quite clear but you do have to search sometimes! I found this the other week


BREADED HAM!!!! I thought this was a joy of my past gluten eating life but NO! Thanks to M&S I can indulge in the ham of the breaded variety!

It's also worth checking out the freezer section. As well as the chilled breaded fish / chicken in the fridges they also have breaded frozen fish wich was really tasty (with my butternut squash chunky chips!!)


Also, in the regular section


Says it feeds two but I think that's debatable! We bought two packs on an offer and ate one each...


Maybe we are just gutsy but come on, that doesn't look that big does it?! Anyway, worth checking out.....no gluten containing ingredients listed on the package!

I finally managed to track down NO.G (www.toogoodtobeglutnfree.com) in Sainsburys. 


Ironically, after trying to track these little beauties down for ages and then umming and ahhing about which flavour to buy, it turns out I chose the one with pine nuts.....the pine nuts I can't eat!!! Frustrated and disappointed I took my life in my hands and painstaking picked out all of the pine nuts (and there were hundreds of them!) Not ideal and won't be buying this flavour again BUT I will be fully researching the other varieties because this was really good.......almost too good to be gluten free!! 

I would like to close with a little shout out to Dale! He is often the butt of my jokes on here but I am truly thankful for his passion for all things foodie! He happily tackles any GF challenge I throw his way and  constantly looks for ways to adapt regular recipes to GF versions when I'm craving something from the old days! However, I'm sure he would agree that he has met his true nemesis......a nemesis in the form of a GF Yorkshire pudding! Therefore, my final thanks goes to Isabel (www.isabelsfreefrom.co.uk)! Without her wonderful mix, I may never have eaten proper Yorkshire puds again!



Have a great fortnight! X (@lizprice79)








No comments:

Post a Comment