Sunday 3 May 2015

Feeling Chirpy!

As I walked around Pets at Home, it dawned on me that many of the items available in the bird food pick n' mix bins were not dis similar to what I had just spent a fortune on in Holland and Barrett! Maybe my Mum was right? With the amount of seed/ millet I've been eating, my singing voice should definitely have improved by now! I can certainly "out sing" most people on Take That Singstar but tuneful?!......doubtful! Nevertheless, my seed intake has increased and do you know what, I love them! I can't eat nuts, so seeds are the perfect alternative! So, lock up your budgies and read on....

My best, recent seed find has been in Lidl!


Now, you may be forgiven for thinking these are another popular GF brand as they look VERY similar! I'm all for offering my support to GF friendly businesses but I'm sorry, I'm a traitor, these were too much of a bargain to leave behind! I normally pay approx a fiver for a similar brand but these are £1.99 each! Amazing!

I was excited to receive this in the post from my Mother In Law


I didn't even know this book exisited but I was keen to try it out! Lo and behold there was a seed breakfast bar recipe.....BOOM!


Yey! Easy peasy! Even I managed to successfully make them! Perfect for break time munchies at school.....thank goodness for the Holland and Barrett penny sale which meant I could get stocked up on my seed collection! 

I was excited to see this in my local Marks and Spencer's


I'm always keen to try an oat free porridge and have been happily munching my way through the Sainsburys Freefrom version. To be honest this tastes very similar (despite not containing millet) but I particularly liked the fact that these are in individual sachets. This makes it much easier to store and could even be taken away when travelling!

I've also been feeling chirpy because Dale celebrated his birthday in the week! This resulted in the usual Price celebration of over indulging in excessive quantities of meat! I hung up my seed and quinoa fetish and channelled my inner cave woman as we headed to Dukes Brew And Que (www.dukesbrewandque.com) in Hackney! Featured on the "Food Junkies" TV programme, Dukes is THE place for BBQ / Ribs etc etc! I emailed prior to my visit about GF choices and quicky got a reply. I opted for the pork ribs (minus the gluten containing BBQ sauce!!)


If you're veggie......probably not the best place for you (although there were veggie options!). My ribs were great, tasty, soft, fell apart....everything you want from a good rib! Dale went for the beef rib which was scarily similar to an episode of the Flintstones! All was good. If you're up for a meat-athon I can recommend......not cheap but good for a treat!! 

Another cause for chirpiness was the unexpected arrival of a hamper of goodies from Udi's (www.udisglutenfree.co.uk). I like presents and foodie presents are even more exciting! I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone (thankfully not during my visit to Pets at Home....I think that's frowned upon!?). I gave the Udi's sponge mix a whirl and took them to church as Dales birthday cupcakes....woop,woop!


The mix was easy to use and came together well. I'm a little confused why you would want to use a mix, as surely the dry part of a sponge mix is just flour and sugar?! Nevertheless, if mixes are your thing this was easy! It was a bit annoying that the recipe was in cups so Google was my friend during this baking experience! They came out ok!!


Everyone at church was thrilled and were more than happy to sample! Personally I felt they could have been a bit sweeter. The consistency was a bit crumbly and resulted in lots of crumbs on the floor but it could have been because I baked them the day before? Nevertheless, I had to apologise to the people on the cleaning rota that week?!

I also managed to sample the white sandwich loaf....although never one to do as I'm told, I didn't make a sandwich with it! I did however, put it through the cheese on toast test and....


....it passed!!! Very nice! Thanks Udi's! I'll let you know how I get on with my other hamper items over the next few weeks!

Well, I'm off for some more millet and to practise my scales! Have a great fortnight! Xx @lizprice79)











No comments:

Post a Comment