Sunday 31 May 2015

Heb Glwten Girl in Wales!

So, the joy of half term is nearly over and the count down to the big summer hols has already begun! Dale and I spent the final half term of the year catching up with family and exploring Dale's homeland!

We began our explorations with a little detour off the M4 to Windsor! (Necessary risk assessment trip prior to taking our Year 2's to the castle...the work of a school teacher is never done!!) After a lovely trip around the castle we seized the opportunity to try out Bella Italia (www.bellaitalia.co.uk). I haven't eaten here since my gluten filled days and was pleasantly surprised by the GF choice on offer.....pizza, pasta, grills etc Obviously, I went for the pizza!


I'm quite familiar with the Prezzo / Pizza Express pizza options and it was nice to have a different selection of toppings! Tasty with a pretty good crust. Would like to go back to sample some of the pasta dishes next!

On our first gloomy, misty, rainy, summers day in South Wales we decided to seek refuge at the McArthur Glen shopping centre. After reading lots of good things about Ed's Easy Diner (www.edseasydiner.com) on Twitter I was keen to drown my summer sorrows and fill up on some stodge! First impressions were good! I was presented with a separate GF menu that was colourful and laminated (no tatty bits of photocopied paper here!!). The menu gave lots of choice and I excitedly went  for the hotdog (with GF bun...oh yes!!). However, I'm sad to report the reality was not quite as exciting as the dream.


My hot dog didn't fit into the the GF bun!!! Instead, it perched rather precariously on top of the slightly anaemic bun. After making a very un glamorous attempt at biting into it, I gave up and used my knife and fork (much to Dale's embarrassment!). The bun was doughy, chewy and probably a little undercooked....the sausage was ok! I ended up leaving most of the roll which was hugely disappointing. Nevertheless, I consoled myself with a gigantic milkshake which was actually rather delicious!


As the mist cleared, we drove to Tenby and Saundersfoot. I wasn't overwhelmed by the GF choices but I would like to mention Sue's Pantry in Saundersfoot. 


They have amazing cakes in the window and not surprisingly seem to be extremely popular! Inside, they had a small selection of GF cakes, all individually wrapped for that extra piece of mind!


After eating a Tesco's reduced tuna salad on the seafront (while Dale tucked into fish and chips!!) this provided a welcomed treat! 

As we arrived in Breacon I was met by this sign


It would have been rude not to visit Giglio's (@gigliosbreacon) after they had gone out of their way to advertise their GF delights! The menu made it clear that Gluten Free-ers would always be made welcome and there was a good selection of soups, sandwiches, cakes, salads and main courses all with the GF seal of approval!


My salad came with GF mayo and GF seeded bread and was great! It's those little touches that make all the difference right?! We were so impressed we shared a slice of chocolate cake for pudding!! Dale could hardly wait!!


What I particularly liked about Giglio's was that there was one option.....if you wanted chocolate cake then you had the GF cake, if you wanted apple pie you had the GF pie. There was no secret stash of dusty old GF items, dragged out when someone dared to ask for them! Their food was GF and they were proud about it and clearly confident of the taste! Well done Giglio's, if only more places could be like you! 

The sun actually shone on Wednesday.....at last! Back to the seaside we went and this time we hit The Mumbles in Swansea. I am pleased to report that Joe's ice cream (www.joes-ice cream.com) couldn't have been more helpful! Heaven forbid a trip to the coast should be ice creamless and I had heard Joe's was THE place to head for! Thankfully, they did not let me down!


They happily checked through their allergy file and advised me of suitable flavours (the vanilla, their trademark, was amazing!!). They didn't even bat an eyelid when we asked if they could wash the scoop before using it! Fab! I was tempted to go back for more!

Thankfully, after a stroll along the pier I found space for some lunch! The Kitchen Table, (www.thekitchentablecafe.co.uk) advertise GF food outside and their menu is clearly labelled.


The outside is quite deceiving.....once you step inside you discover a 2 levelled, cute, slightly chintzy tea shop with a great menu selection. I went for the spiced chickpea burger


which was really tasty. I particularly liked the side salad with the pickle and seed combo which made a nice change. Definitely worth a look if you're in The Mumbles area!

When the milkshake cravings start and there isn't an Ed's Easy Diner around what do you do?! You welcome Joe Delucci's (www.joedeluccis.com) with wide open GF arms, that's what you do! Found in the middle of Cardiff shopping centre they advertise GF options. The staff were happy to help and were willing to wash their scoops before using them! Yey, milkshake itch scratched! But I drank it before I remembered to take a picture...oooops!!

Interestingly enough, after my week of poor diet and general over indulgence, I have felt better than I have done in ages! Ironically, despite more junk and carbs, I've had hardly any stomach issues.......maybe there is a lesson to be learned here......I clearly need more chocolate and ice cream in my diet!!!

Well, on that note I will go and mentally prepare myself for the start of the next (and last!!!!) half term! Have a great fortnight everyone! Xx (@lizprice79)









No comments:

Post a Comment