Sunday 13 October 2013

Last night I dreamt of some bagels!

So if you haven't got the loose play on song lyrics please start humming Madonna's La Isla Bonita while you read the rest of this! It's been going round my head allllllllllllll day! And, yes, I'm ashamed to admit that it is true....last night I dreamt of some bagels!!

After causing quite a stir in the Gluten Free world, Udi's arrived in the UK. Never being one to miss out on an exciting new GF product, I took myself off to Tesco hoping to find some Udi's bagels. I have seriously missed bagels since being GF and have been disappointed not to find a suitable substitute. Until......


So excited was I that Udi's bagel took over my dreams! (I can hear the shouts of "saddo" from here!!). So when I dragged myself out of bed this morning I quickly toasted my cinnamon and raisin bagel with eager anticipation.


Now, I'm not a huge cinnamon fan but the excitement of bagels for breakfast far outweighed this! The verdict.....fab!!! They toasted really well, the butter melted nicely into them, the cinnamon was not over powering and they had the consistency of a regular bagel! Mission accomplished!! I'm back in the bagel eating world, thank you Udi's! The only problem was I wanted another one! So the plan for tonight is to crack open the savoury ones and see how they are......watch this space!

Also, thrilled to see Asda's own Free From brand producing Gluten Free couscous. I don't often get to Asda but managed to send mum on a GF mission!


Prior to my GF diet I was quite big on couscous (and bagels don't forget!!) and I was intrigued to see what this alternative would taste like. It is made from maize semolina, fluffs up like regular couscous, looks like regular couscous and do you know what.....tastes pretty much like regular couscous too!!


I appreciate my dinner of turkey burger and couscous looks a little dry! Usually I would have couscous with something in a sauce, however, I was keen to try it on its own to get a true feel for the taste! I would definitely recommend!

Yesterday, Dale and I picked up some friends from Heathrow airport. Normally on these occasions I would usually pack myself a little GF picnic to take with me. However, this time I decided to take a leap of faith and see what Heathrow could offer me in terms of GF snacks / lunch. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised! Marks and Spencer had a few GF sandwiches and seemed fairly well stocked (ham poughmans and cheese and pickle) as well as a GF choc muffins. Costa Coffee also had a small outlet which I'm guessing had their usual GF selection (which is sadly not nut free so not good for me!) Nevertheless my eyes lit up at the sight of Carluccio's! I have long been a fan of their GF menu so this was a no brainer, our lunch destination had been sorted!

Despite being ridiculously busy we were quickly seated and our waiter was more than happy to provide the Gluten Free menu. We were served by several staff, all of which were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the GF choices. It was also really nice to see GF options on the specials menu.

I settled on the Luganica - pasta with a spicy Italian sausage sauce.


Great stuff! Can't fault it, tasty, filling, generous portion and a novelty not to have penne for a change! Well done Carluccio's!

Well, (still humming La Isla Bonita) I'm off for another bagel! Have a good week everyone! X








1 comment:

  1. Please note the Asda couscous should read maize semolina NOT maize and semolina!!! Sorry for any confusion!

    ReplyDelete