Sunday 6 October 2013

In at 10.....


This week I take on the role of " Bilious Blogger" as I write to you from the doom and gloom of my sick bed. As well as being blessed with Coeliac Disease I also have regular bouts of vertigo which can make life a little interesting at times! So, after a week of feeling like I'm riding on a boat I have seriously indulged in a whole array of comfort foods (you will notice the vertigo does not inhibit my appetite!!). Therefore, this week, I bring to you my top 10 Gluten Free comfort foods of the week...... (In no particular order)

In at 10...

DS custard creams, they taste just like the real thing. Cannot fault them and they come in little individual packs of two so having one is never an option! 

9.....

Sausage sandwich, it's gotta be done! Sainsburys Taste the Difference Pork and Herb sausages in a Newburn Bakehouse seeded role. I particularly like these rolls as they are not as stodgy as some and do not leave you as bloated as other GF breads can do.

8...7 and 6 all go to.....

....ilumi! Ok, so I know I have blogged about ilumi before and I can promise I am not working for them, nor do I have shares in the company but I cannot shout loud enough about their food. It ticks all the boxes....tasty...tick, filling....tick, tasty....tick, good quality...tick, easy to store...tick and did I mention tasty?! Ready after 2mims in the micro, definitely my kind of cooking, especially when I'm feeling grotty!




All teamed with good ol' Uncle Bens micro rice or Glutafin penne pasta.

5.....

The Twitter grapevine was rustling this week when news of The Wonka Bars hit the cyber world. Two out of the three in the range are gluten free! Hurrah! I bought both only to discover the millionaires shortbread bar contains hazelnuts, PAH!! Not great with a nut allergy so I'm sending that Mum and Dads way! My loss is their gain! BUT "Chocolate Nice Cream" WOW!!!! I fear this may be a dangerous discovery as I have just bought my second bar!! (Remember.....never add up the calories!!!!) Please note that this bar does state a "May contain nuts" label so it is not 100% nut free.

4....

Nice to have a savoury snack  for a change and for those of you who do count the calories you'll be pleased to know it doesn't make it onto the "naughty scale"!

3....

Always up for a bit of cake, it makes everything better doesn't it?! It's very healing! Newburn Bakehouse lemon and poppy seed muffin. Soft, squishy with oozy lemon inside mmmmmmm........ Word on the GF street is that they have just launched a raspberry and white choc flavour. I will, of course, be investigating this....all in the name of research!!

2.....

Despite feeling grim I did manage to drag my sorry self off the settee for an hour to meet my mum and friend at Prezzo. I have long been a GF Prezzo Pizza fan. I know there's more of a cross,contamination risk due the presence of regular flour in the kitchens but I have to say I have never had any problems with my local branch and they have also been great tasting.

Infact, I was half way through munching my Fiorentina when panic struck!! This was too good to be GF, it just wasn't as crispy as normal! Feeling the surge of panic rising I called the waitress over to double check it really was the GF version that I was tucking into!!! Thankfully, she reassured me that it was and was thrilled I couldn't tell the difference! Proof that GF pizza doesn't have to taste like cardboard! It certainly had me fooled!

1....


I made a mistake earlier....I said cake is very healing....not half as healing as CHOCOLATE cake!! I will end my comfort countdown with Dale's chocolate brownies. I have blogged about them before so will not continue to overinflate his ego but he has just successfully fed the masses at out church harvest lunch! They all ate GF brownies and not one of them knew!!! Wooooohooooo! #GFconverts

So, feeling a little alarmed at the amount of food I have consumed (as well as a little heavier?!) I will sign off hoping that this merry go round that I'm on will finally stop spinning but that the comfort food eating will never end! Xx





No comments:

Post a Comment