Sunday 9 August 2015

Hurrah for Quinoa & Going Loca for Tapioca!

Quinoa....a gluten free-ers best friend! Buoyed up by my recent quinoa based products, I decided to go the whole hog and replace my rice with plain quinoa for dinner last week! Bluergh! It turns out that I'm not a fan of neat quinoa!!! However, here are some cleverly disguised quinoa products that I have been enjoying!

Dee's Quinoa Pot (www.deeswholefoods.co.uk)


Stocked up on Dee's at the Allergy Show and ironically you can now buy them from Holland and Barrett! Ho hum, least I'm well stocked now! Really liked this, love Moroccan flavours and this didn't fail. Quick blitz in the microwave (which you all know is my favourite type of cooking?!) and it was a great, speedy, meal on the go!

During my last "Cheeky Nando's", I noticed they are now doing a quinoa salad which gets the GF seal of approval! Tasty and filling! A nice change from the usual Nando's offerings!


Continuing with my love of "ping ping", micro meals! I am a great Kirsty's fan! (Www.kirstys.co.uk). I bought this in Sainsbury's as I am trying not to eat so much rice. I hadn't realised that this also has rice in it but at least it's mixed in with the quinoa. Nice, quick and tasty ready meal which doesn't bloat as much as some other carb heavy dishes.



I really like these Qunioa bars found in Holland and Barrett but I have 2 problems with them. They are (in my opinion!!) hugely over priced at about £1.49 per bar!! My second issue is that it seems you can only buy them on Hollamd and Barrett. When I looked online they had awful reviews and lots of places had stopped stocking them! What do I know eh?! I really enjoyed them and they are perfect for putting in your bag for days out etc! 



Eat Real (www.eatreal.co.uk) Quinoa Chips are great, particualry as I don't eat much potato, so crisps are a thing of the past for me! I picked these up in the pound shop but I have seen them in quite a few health food stores. They have a crisp like texture and the flavour is amazing (just don't go on a hot date straight after, the garlic is quite overpowering!! )


And finally......I have saved the best for last! Come, if you will, on a journey away from quinoa towards the Coeliacs next best friend....tapioca! 

Yesterday, I had the great pleasure to finally sample the culinary delights from Feed Me Primal (www.feedmeprimal.co.uk) at the Schoolyard Market (Broadway Market). I had read many a tweet raving about the gluten free joys that Feed Me Primal have to offer! Let's just say I wasn't disappointed!!


Watching the tapioca flour being sieved onto the griddle and then magically turning into a wrap is quite amazing! I opted for the spinach, tomato and feta filling and it was delicious! So glad to have finally sampled something from Feed Me Primal and I'm sure it won't be my last visit! 

Well, that's all from me! Have a great fortnight! Xx @lizprice79





2 comments:

  1. I've tried to cook quinoa a few times now andI've never been terribly impressed by it but that Dee's meal looks really good so maybe I should try it again! Hmm!
    As for the tapioca flour wrap thing, it looks so much like bread!! Very interesting idea for a wrap-sandwich thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided I'm a quinoa fan.....as long as it is mixed in with something! On its own...it ended up in the bin!! Definitely look out for Dee's meal pots. I've seen them in Holland and Barrett.
    The wrap was amazing and a great idea. Need to d some more sampling I reckon?! ;0)

    ReplyDelete