Sunday 11 January 2015

What a cliche!

As I stood in a packed Tesco's clutching my Coyo yogurt like it was gold dust, I frantically asked the lovely sales assistant where I could find the Free From aisle (as I had been searching for quite some time! ) I couldn't help chuckling to myself! What a typical, cliched, stereotyped Freefromer I have become! Did any of you see that picture doing the rounds on Twitter of "Hipster Santa" ( if not, go and Google it now!), it seems that this is what I have become.....Hipster Lizzie, Yep, that's me!? How did this happen....?!

Anyway, on with the show.....

So, Coyo yogurts (www.coyo.co.uk) certainly have a mythical aura to them! I have been searching for some time to sample these vegan, coconut delights but my goodness are they tricky to find!? As luck would have it between the Health Food shop (www.nutricentre.com)and Tesco at the Brookfield Centre I managed to collect 3 flavours of the said yogs


Once I had got over the shock or potentially remortgaging my house to pay for them (the choc one was nearly £2.00 a pot!) I felt slightly smug that I could go home and devour the lot fairly guilt free. To be honest with you I was a little disappointed. I had heard great things and therefore expected great things!  My favourite was the natural flavour, extremely thick and it almost convinced me that I was eating something calorific! I'm afraid I really didn't like the chocolate one, but to be fair, I'm not a "raw choc" kinda gal! If it doesn't come with purple wrap and Cadbury stamped on the front I can't get that excited! The mango one?.....it was ok?

However, my other purchase from the aforementioned "Hipster Lizzie" trip to Tesco was the much raved about Udi's (wwe.udis glutenfree.co.uk) sundried tomato bagels. Oh my....these are fab! Look....


....a naughty little bacon bagel for my lunch! These will most definitely become a freezer favourite for me. What made it even better was that Tesco had them on offer for £1 a pack! Bargain! Just wish I'd bought more!

While trawling the Sainsburys aisles for something to take to a friends for lunch I stumbled upon this


and was pleased to see it clearly labelled on the front as GF. I was slightly put off by the foil container and peel back lid as it felt a bit like I was eating cat food! Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised! Quite a tasty, light lunch! It does not refrigerating so it perfect for "on the go" lunches!

Speaking of "on the go" Dale and I found ourselves at Borough Market again the other week. It was lunchtime and I was ravenous but diaster....none of my usual GF haunts were there! Horn Ok Please came to the rescue! (www.hop.st) I must confess I have never heard of them before but I will be back! Delicious vegetarian, Indian street food that also happened to be GF. I opted for a lentil pancake with potatoes, chickpeas and a whole host of other lovely stuff! 


Caveman Dale opted for a big, fat burger from a neighbouring stall but sheepishly admitted (after finishing mine off) that he wished he had the same as me! Praise indeed from a loud and proud carnivore! 

Dale and I picked up this little gem from the Christmas Foodies Festival


Gran Luchito (www.gran.luchito.co.uk) is apparently also stocked in M&S, Tesco, Whole Foods, Ocado as well as some other stores although I hadn't seen it before! This chilli ketchup was a big hit with Dale although it was a bit too hot for me! However, I did really enjoy this


As you can see, Dale glazed our gammon with the Gran Luchito Honey and it was delicious! It still had a little kick to it but as it caramelised on the gammon it was (in the words of Jamie Oliver) a beautiful thing!

"What?! No sweets or cakes?!" I can hear you cry!! I'm not sure what has happened to me!!? Well, I don't want to disappoint so let me end with a little sweetness! Look what Dale bought me for Christmas


A whole box of the fabulous Joe & Seph's popcorn! (www.joeandsephs.co.uk) there is a mixture of sweet and savoury but so far I've cracked open the Double Salted Caramel and the Chocolate Mint! Mmmmmmmm is all I have to say! Mmmmmm mmmmmmm! I've had to hide the other packets away so I don't eat them all at once! Thanks Dale! 

Well, Hipster Lizzie is signing off for another couple of weeks! Have a fab fortnight one and all! Xx (@lizprice79)













3 comments:

  1. You have NO idea how pleased I am to finally come across someone who feels the same way about the CoYo yoghurts as I do!!! I reviewed the raw chocolate one a while back and despite the excitement at finally trying a healthy, on-trend product, I couldn't eat more than a couple of mouthfuls. To me, it just tasted very strange! Not even sure what I could compare it to? But afterwards, someone did tell me the 'Natural' yoghurt was the one to go for. Damn!

    That Horn Ok Please (WEIRD name!!?!) meal looks really good! You're absolutely spoiled for choice down your way, aren't you!?!

    If you and Dale like your chilli, you should come and check out the Dorset Chilli Festival this year. It was brilliant last year and there was a lot that was gluten free! I did a blog post on last year's event, if you want to check that out, but it's really worth it. :0)

    Great post! Look forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!!! I felt almost apologetic writing it but I really wasn't very impressed! They definitely are the latest thing to eat aren't they?! I couldn't finish the chocolate one but the natural one was ok!

    Yep, a very strange name, don't know why that is?!? :0/ I am constantly finding new places to eat which is always exciting. Yes, I guess us Londoners are very fortunate!

    Dorsest Chilli Festival sounds fun! I will have to look into that lol and will definitely check the blog post, thank you for the recommendation!

    As always, thank you for the support! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I felt the same way, especially since it also feels as though you're missing out on something that's totally, like, super-cool, yeah!? Haha!

      Any time. :0)

      Delete