Sunday 30 November 2014

Out and About

Dale and I seem to have been out and about rather a lot during the past fortnight! Dales passion for microbreweries (yawn!!) has led to all sorts of trips to parts of London I didn't even know existed! It comes to something when a boy from the  Welsh Valleys knows more about "The big smoke" than me (a born and bred Londoner!!)! Anyway, yesterday saw us being able to combine my love of GF food and Dales boozy interest as we took a trip to the Foodies Festival at The Old Truman Brewary, just behind Spitalfields market. 

I was interested to know what GF selection would be on offer....the answer.....not that much!! There were a few items that just happened to be GF but no representation of a "GF only" company at all which I thought was quite surprising! Nevertheless, I picked up these


which are dangerously addictive! Great, bold flavours but....beware.....some flavours have a "produced in a factory that handles..." warning, so just double check before purchasing! (www.manomasa.co.uk)

These lovely little fudge bars were a no brainer for my sweet tooth


the only trouble was I couldn't decide which flavours to buy! I've only cracked open the strawberry and balsamic so far but...let's just say....I don't think they will be hanging around for long! Delicious!! (www.thewonkykitchen.com)

Frustratingly, I also paid £2 for one brownie which was ok but nothing to rave about! I won't name and shame the company as that's a bit mean but I know Dale makes a mean GF brownie and I'm yet to buy one that beats it! Just wish we had the confidence to set up and sell them.....would be great to see if we could! Any advice from anyone doing it would be appreciated!!

Outside of The Old Truman Brewary is a food market. My little GF heart skipped a beat when I noticed an Arepa stall! (@Arepazobros)


All Arepas are labelled as GF and this was just as good as my previous Arepa experience!


Corn bread, chicken, beans, guacamole, cheese and plantain! Wow! Dale and I ate our dinner before we realised it was only 4.30!! Oops! 

always enjoy a trip to Broadway Market (www.broadwaymarket.co.uk) at London Fields and there's usually something new and GF to try! Last weekend I had a lovely warming veggie curry from (www.gujaratirasoi.com)



I thought Dale was just taking the photo of the food lol! I'd have smiled more if I'd have known!!! Anyway, dodgy pic aside, the curry was fab, just the thing for these chilly Autumnal days!

Speaking of chilly days I've been seriously craving some hot choc! I'm currently having a battle with Starbucks as I am trying to find out if their hot choc is GF! An easy enough question you would think.....wrong!! They have now informed me about their lattes, ALL their food but still not their hot choc arghhhh! Thank goodness for


Montezuma's have a shop at Spitalfields Market! (www.montezumas.co.uk) Not everything is GF but check the labels and you'll be pleasantly surprised! This mint hot choc is like drinking an After Eight! Mmmmmmmm! 

Now, has anyone eaten in Prezzo (www.prezzorestaurants.co.uk) recently? GF plus point....there are GF options on the Christmas menu woohoooo! They offer a 2 and 3 course festive menu special HOWEVER GF peeps can only have 2 courses cos there's no GF pudding!!! I know!!! How can that be??! Pudding is the best bit right?! Anyway, after getting over the pudding strops I ordered a Bianca pizza that had goats cheese, beetroot, butternut squash etc on it


BUT I could not get my knife through the base! I've had Prezzo pizza many times so just wondered if they had changed their base? I seriously couldn't do a thing with it! Thank goodness I was with a good friend who was suitably entertained by the mess I was making! Please take note.....this is NOT first date food!! 

Well, as always, I wish you all a lovely fortnight! Xx (@lizprice79)










2 comments:

  1. Wow, that fudge looks really tasty! Especially interested by the white choc & raspberry one! The arepas look good too. We had a chilli festival down here in the summer and they had an arepa stall, but I hadn't expected there to be options for me so I'd had a HUGE breakfast and wouldn't have been able to fit one in. Theyr'e massive!! Next year though, definitely.

    The setting up your own business thing...if you want to chat about it at all, drop me an email. It's not as complicated as you might think. The only difficult bit, really (other than taxes!) is the hygiene regulations. But if the brownies are that good, it's absolutely worth giving it a go, even if you set up on the basis of just doing lots of types of brownie. And if you want a taste-tester...you know where I am! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fudge was great but I liked the strawberry and balsamic better than the white choc and raspberry! Wouldn't say no to either though!! Arepa's are amazing (and huge!), hope you get to try one soon. keep trying to convince Dale to have a go at making them ;0)
    Thanks for the info. Yes, maybe I should pick your brains some more, thank you! We got as far as reading all the info from the Food Standards Agency and then got scared off! We would like to give it a go, it'd be interesting to know if we could do it! Might just take you up on the taste testing offer lol ;0)

    ReplyDelete