Sunday 25 May 2014

Third Time Lucky!

Friday saw me face one of the many Coeliac nightmare situations......the dreaded buffet! Having already made up my mind to steer clear of the gluten filled goodies and cross contaminated horrors on offer, I decided to opt for ordering something from the general pub menu instead...thinking I was making life easier for everyone involved. I was reassured by the friendly guy behind he bar who said he could rustle me up a chicken skewer, rice a salad. Result!

Take 1..... Plate arrives with onion rings on! Oooops lovely guy from behind the counter realises the mistake before I do and whips my plate away at lightning speed! He was apologetic but understood a new meal would have to be cooked (Hurrah for knowing that! GF Brownie point awarded!)

Take 2.... Plate arrives with dressing on the salad. I check dressing is ok, just about start to dig in and my lovely (but slightly exasperated) guy from the counter hurries back in a slight panic! STOP, the dressing contains wheat!! Thank goodness he had the sense to check and the bravery to come and tell me that I would need a third dinner! This man needs a medal! Yes, it was annoying to have to wait even longer but much less annoying than being ill for the weekend!

Take 3... Success at last!! Thank you The Builders Arms (http://www.mcmullens.co.uk/buildersarms) Potter Bar and thanks to the lovely, understanding guy from behind the counter!


I had heard a little rumour of a new coffee shop in Enfield Town....not just any coffee shop but a Gluten Free friendly coffee shop.....right on my doorstep! So, off I went to investigate and was reassured by the sign that met me...


Wooohooo! Gluten Free....loud and proud! No secret allergy menu, no special code to crack just GF...plain and simple! I was met by a selection of GF and non GF cakes. I can happily report that there was a much larger selection of GF than Non GF which was a bit of a bonus! All cakes were either individually wrapped or in their own cake containers therefore reducing cross contamination. GF baguettes are offered for lunch and they use separate butter to the regular sarnies. All sandwich fillings are covered and fresh gloves are worn for preparation...it's safe to say I was more than a little impressed! 

So just to throw a spanner in the works, I had to then ask if the cakes were nut free! Mega GF brownie points awarded here because despite not knowing, the owner phoned his wife (who baked the cakes) to check!  Well done Occo for having the guts to do what so many big chains are only just dabbling in! I wish you every success and longevity in Enfield? My white chocolate and caramel cake was suitably sweet, sickly and delicious...just what I look for in cake! Well, no surprises here but...I'll be back!


It made the perfect pud for my lunch! And what made my lunch even more perfect was I finally found the GF Scotch Eggs in Marks and Spencer's!


True to form they are amazing! Marks and Spencer are on a GF roll.....please, please, please keep it coming!

Dale signed up for a free trial for Simplycook.com the other week. For those who are not familiar with this...you sign up and receive a goody box in the post! In the box you get four recipe cards and all the necessary spice mixes and rubs needed in order to make the dishes. All you need to do is buy a small selection of other ingredients! Quite a fun idea and it encourages you to eat dishes you may not normally bother with. I was particularly impressed that we were able to sign up for the GF option too. Here's what we have had so far...

Pork Cassoulet


Spiced Butternut Squash Risotto


Malay Laksa


Smoked Haddock Kedgeree is still to come! Definitely worth having a go. Have a look on their website as they seem to have a lot of introductory offers that'd be worth a look!

Well, this week I will be enjoying Half Term by report writing and desperately trying to ignore those GF cupcakes calling from the kitchen cupboard! Wish me luck! X (@lizprice79)






No comments:

Post a Comment