Sunday 11 May 2014

I Doughnut Believe it!

Yesterday the unthinkable happened! Dale returned from a trip out to tell me about a truly magificant place in a land far, far away (well, actually it was London Fields, about 15mims on the train!) where there are gluten free delights beyond your wildest dreams! He told me stories of focaccia sandwiches, fresh baguettes, chocolate eclairs, oreo's and wait for it........DOUGHNUTS!!! Surely this couldn't be true!?! Floris Food trade at Broadway Market (part of London Fields extended market) and they are the reason for my head over heels, giddy with excitement, Coeliac jubilation!!! Look at these....


I haven't had doughnuts for over two years...I was beyond excited!! One filled with jam, one filled with custard! Mmmmmmm! I'm ashamed to say I ate both!! Please note.......they are smaller than a regular doughnut, therefore eating 2 is perfectly acceptable....honestly!! Infact, I would say it was probably expected! Thank you Dale for being such an eagle eyed GF spotter...I have trained you well!!! I will be fully investigating Floris Food in the very near future.....all in the name of blogging you understand!

I FINALLY got to be the one to choose the restaurant when we went out on Monday! Yey!! No burgers....no ribs.....no half a cow in BBQ Sauce....NO WAY! Lizzie was in charge!! So we headed for Pho (http://www.phocafe.co.uk) Vietnamese Street Food Restaurant! They pride themselves on serving freshly cooked food, nothing pre packed and all fresh ingredients. More importantly most of their menu is naturally gluten free. They use rice noodles and the wrapping on the spring rolls are also made of rice. I emailed before to check and there were only a couple of dishes to avoid due to soy sauce (however they did say they would use a GF soy sauce if I wanted.....pretty impressive!). So I had vegetarian summer rolls to start


and a Pho soup with Brisket (not the authentic name I'm afraid but it sums it up!)


Granted my soup looks a little like dishwater but I promise you it tasted great! Delicious, steaming hot and actually quite soothing! Pho is a great place to try if you're GF as it's always nice to have a choice from a menu.....and to choose from the same menu as everyone else is pretty good too! The staff were all helpful and were really clued up about the GF world! Mental note for next time.....swot up on chop stick skills!! A tad embarrassing having to ask for cutlery.....even more embarrassing trying to eat soup with a knife, fork and spoon! Oh the shame!!

Also, visited Cafe Rouge this week. No allergy information readily available here which was a bit of a shame. However, I chose a couple of things that sounded GF and our waiter was more than happy to check for me. I had the Demi Poulet (without gravy cos gravy wasn't GF) with a green salad (no dressing).


It was nice and very garlicky!! I was pleased to see it served on a plate on a wooden board......we all know I have concerns about wooden boards!! I also had raspberry sorbet.....no photo....we all know what raspberry sorbet looks like though yeah?! So Cafe Rouge....nice food.....helpful staff.....but could make allergy info more explicit.

It seems to have been a week of treats! I got home from work on Wedensday to find Dale had made the most of Sainsburys 5 for 4 on Free From goods...


I told you he's well trained! (Either that or he's turning into one of those feeder folk!?!) I have been quite restrained (shocker!!) and have only had 1 cupcake so far! Pretty impressive eh?! However, I was keen to try the new Genius cupcakes so happily cracked open the lemon ones!


Lovely, light and lemony! The only thing I would say is that it was quite tricky getting them out of the packaging without getting the icing everywhere! Not necessarily a bad thing but a certain amount of finger licking was required! I will fill you in on the chocolate ones as well as the cookie mix in the near future!

Have a great week everyone! (@lizprice)







No comments:

Post a Comment