Sunday 17 November 2013

The Good, The "Getting Better" and The Ugly!

This week the bank balance (and the waistline!) have taken a battering as I have taken my Coeliac self out to eat a few too many times! It's amazing how service can vary just in the space of a week! I have experienced such a range of GF service in the last few days that I thought I would dedicate this weeks blog to it! So here goes......Let's start with the positive!

The Good

I used to go to La Tasca a quite a lot in my pre Coeliac days and I have been meaning to return for some time, especially since it got the thumbs up from Coeliac UK! Dale and I went for pre theatre tapas in Covent Garden last weekend. Despite eating early it was packed! Always a good sign I reckon! All the menus are the same with the GF options clearly labelled!! No secrets here! Brownie point number one scored already! Also, there are lots of GF options so you aren't stuck with one or two basic dishes. Brownie point number two! It was great to see the Warbrtons Newburn Bakehouse wraps being used with the oil and balsamic.....brownie point number three....ok I think you get the hang of this now!!


My only slight quibble is that I would have been happy to pay a bit more to have more bread as I didn't feel the wrap to olive oil ratio was as satisfying as it could be!

So here is our GF tapas banquet for two...


Manchego cheese, pork belly, lemon chicken, ribs, chorizo and black pudding, goats cheese salad!!! (Chicken wings followed later!!!!). It was every bit at delicious as it looks! I was absolutely stuffed and determind not to have pudding........well, that was until I saw the menu! I was so taken aback by the GF choices on the dessert menu that it would have been rude to say no! As any Coeliac will tell you, dessert choices are usually limited or non existent! Fruit salad, maybe sorbet, brownie if you're really lucky! Well my sweet tooth and my eyes (that are clearly bigger than my belly!!) thought it was their lucky day! I ordered the lemon and lime crumble (surely part of my five a day yeah?!)


Every bit as fab as it looks!! Well done La Tasca, an amazing GF dinner with great choices! GF food options that are clearly labelled and tasted fantastic! 

The "Getting There"

Yesterday, I dragged Dale round Lakeside Shopping Centre. The promise of lunch at Gourmet Burger Kitchen was the carrot he needed in order for him to take part in some Christmas shopping! I had heard a rumor that GBK had launched a new GF menu so I was keen to have a look!

The waiter happily produced the GF menu for me and went on to inform me that the chips were cooked in the same oil as the onion rings so it would depend "how allergic" I was. I appreciated the "heads up" and it does state this on the bottom of the menu too. The new menu looks great, there's a choice of beef burger, chicken and veggie options plus a new GF bun! I opted for the chicken with Camembert and cranberry


Yey! It looks like a normal burger doesn't it?! It tasted great too! The GF bun is pretty good, it did fall apart as I was eating but that's often a hazard of GF bread. I did give up and eat it with a knife and fork at one point much to Dale's disgust (it was nice to have the opportunity to embarrass him for a change!). I did have to double check they weren't GF oats on top as I can't yet tolerate them either. The waiter was happy to go and find out for me and all was well!

So why was GBK awared my "Getting There" status? Firstly, the GF menu states milkshakes can have malt added to them for an addidtional cost......oops malt is not GF!! Very misleading, especially for someone new to the GF diet who may not think to question the menu. Secondly, when Dale went to order my chicken burger he was asked if I would like it in bread crumbs. Dale said no because it was from the GF menu. The waiter argued that it was GF and the breadcrumbs would be fine! It was only when the waiter checked with his manager that he realised breadcrumbs would most certainly not be fine! Again, if you don't  have your wits about you, you could have been persuaded that it would have been ok! 

So GBK, I had a great lunch and loved the menu but maybe a few tweaks and some staff training wouldn't go amiss! (I have contacts GBK about this and they are looking into it).

The Ugly

A friend and I went out mid week, we decided to go to a local Ember Inns Pub called The Stag and Hounds. I've been keen to go back to The Stag since becoming GF as I used to frequent quite often in the past and wondered how they would cater for the GF diet. The answer.....BADLY, very badly!!!

I rang up the day before to ask what they would have to offer. The girl on the phone was very nice and said she would ask the chef for me. She came back on the line a few minutes later saying that as they were in the process of implementing their new menu, they had not yet received their dietary info so they didn't know what I would be able to have!!!!!!!!!!! I clarified this with the question, "Would you say it was best I didn't come then?", to which she replied "Yes, probably, unless you just want salad"!!!!!!!! Great customer service eh?! So, to conclude, the "chefs" at Ember Inns pubs clearly do not know what goes into their food! How hard would it have been to offer to grill me a piece of chicken or fish or whip up an omelette?! These "chefs" obviously only heat up pre packed, ready meals and are not prepared to deviate off the menu. Needless to say I won't be returning to one of these pubs!

Light at the end of the tunnel

Let's not end on a moan! Thankfully, after the disaster at the  Ember Inns my friend and I went to the pub over the road, The Beehive! What a difference a few metres makes!! I phoned in advance and they couldn't have been more helpful! I spoke to someone who was knowledgeable about their menu. He was able to make suggestions and offered to adapt existing things. His food is obviously locally sourced and cooked fresh as I was informed that he would be able to ask the butcher for GF burgers and sausages which he would be happy to cook for me! I settled for the pan fried cod (cooked in a separate pan to anything non GF)


A big THANK YOU to The Beehive in Edmonton for great customer service and lovely food! Needless to say, in the words of Arnie....I'll be back!!

Have a great week everyone! X







No comments:

Post a Comment