Sunday 8 September 2013

These aren't gluten free are they?!?!

So, a new week begins and if I may, I would like to start today's blog with a slightly slushy moment (which anyone who knows me will tell you is very unlike me!). I have been genuinely overwhelmed by how many people have viewed my blog, followed me on Twitter and commented to me about what I have written! Thank you soooooo much and please, please, please keep reading!! I have loved hearing from you all!

Right, enough of that, lets get down to business.....

My week began with a celebration of my last days of freedom before the new term began! Like every good shopaholic I headed to to the Mecca of the shopping world - Westfield Stratford. Not being my first trip to this shoppers paradise, I already have a small bank of faithful gluten free friendly establishments to visit. Those of you who know Westfield will be aware that there are all the usual chains that you would expect to find. You can sample Pizza Express, Nandos, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, McDonalds (without the bun obviously!!) etc etc. However, I decided to opt for something new.




Ok, now I know that Tortilla is a chain but it was a new one on me! My eyes lit up as I noticed that "Coeliac" was actually mentioned on the menu! Hallelujah, a result!! Deciding on the "Naked Burrito" my non GF friend and I soon realised we were in the Mexican version of Subway! We quickly moved along a conveyor belt of staff asking us endless questions. Decisions such as flavour of rice, type of bean, which meat, cheese or sour cream etc all had to be made in the blink of an eye! Feeling slightly stressed, I realised I had a bowl full of rather nice looking food! In fact it was so nice, I rather embarrassingly forgot to take a photo before devouring the lot! Oops! So, you are just going to have to believe me when I say it was tasty, filling and great value, about a fiver for a medium sized bowl. Definitely worth the 20 questions in the queue..... However, I will be more clued up next time!

Just a quick mention here for Tossed, great salad place each salad mixed in its own bowl so no cross contamination worries! Definitely worth a look if Mexican isn't up your street!

Well, the Great British Bake Off has nothing on our house this week! The Star Baker Award definitely has to go Dale (hubby extraordinaire) who has single handedly catered for my work place birthday treats as well as a little GF dinner party!

I feel this is a good moment for a little background info! Dale is 100% the chef in our relationship. He cooks, he bakes (he wears his pants on the outside of his trousers....ok not really, but I'm sure after reading this he will feel a little superhero-ish!) and has wholeheartedly embraced the GF challenge when my diet changed last year.  I, on the other hand, am definitely learning. I enjoy eating far, far more than cooking which is probably why our relationship works so well! After many years of "ping ping" micro meals I have recently made tentative steps into kitchen. My baking is definitely improving mainly, I think due to the I motivation of having a cake at the end of it!!

So, the challenge this week was to whip up some GF delights for the non GF people at work. Would they like them? Would they notice the difference?! Well........



30 cupcakes (decoarted by me...yes, I can do something!!) and a similar amount of Brownies made their way into our staffroom. Judging by the ooohs and ahhs they went down well and brightened up what was a very rainy playtime. Dale received a rapturous response and I was only glad he wasn't there to hear it himself otherwise his head may not have fit through the door! My favourite comment....."These aren't gluten free are they?! - Yey!! Success!!!! A little step in the right direction to show that GF food does not have to be tasteless! We can eat normally woohooo!

Another interesting response was the question enquiring why don't start selling our cakes? Interesting because this is something we have investigated. I sent off for all the Environmental Health info, freaked out when I saw it all and never looked at it again!! If anyone has sold baked goods or knows someone who has I would really appreciate any help or advice you have! Is it worth the hassle?!

So, Saturday saw our friends come round for dinner. They are getting quite used to dining " a la GF" and are not easily phased by Dales range of GF dishes. Steak and triple cooked chips (once cooked for me as I have "potato issues".....any other coeliacs struggle with potatoes?!) preceded GF profitteroles. Mmmmmm!



Glutafin flour mix + Glutafin profitterole recipe on their website = 4 very happy diners (only one of which is actually GF!) Fab! I would like to recommend the Glutafin website. If you haven't already registered, I'd do it now! Lots of recipes, some better than others to be fair. The biscuits work particularly well, toad in the hole is pretty good, bread usually nice but we have struggled to get a good cake out of them. Worth a look though, especially if you get food on prescription as the flour mixes are very versatile.

One of the lovely things I have discovered about blogging is the support from fellow bloggers and the Gluten Free Community. I love to shout about great GF food and particularly enjoy sharing local little gems, businesses that fly the flag without much recognition. This week, I would like to mention The Beautiful Burger Company. Please look them up on Facebook, I know Sharon who runs the company would love to hear from you. The Beautiful Burger Company runs from a burger van in and around the Enfield, North London area. All the burgers are GF, GF buns are available and Sharon is more than happy to discuss your dietary needs. Once she learned of the strict rules of a Coeliac she was more than happy to clean her pans / grills before cooking my food. Lovely, homemade burgers and a great  little local business. 

Well, I think that's me done for this week! Let's see what next week brings. I look forward to sharing the highs and lows of the GF world with you all next week!

Thanks again for all your support and a final thank you to Hotel Chocolat whose GF chocolate batons have kept me going while writing this!! See you next week! xx







No comments:

Post a Comment