Sunday 1 September 2013

Birthday day out!

Ok, after the success of yesterday(I actually managed to post my first blog!), today is the day where I have a proper go and try and write something meaningful!

First a bit of background...
I have been Coeliac and therefore gluten free, for just over a year. As many of you out there will know, there have been many ups and downs but my husband (Dale) and I have always enjoyed eating out and we will continue to do so regardless of my restricted diet ( and our expanding waistlines!)

So, yesterday saw my husband take me out for an early birthday trip into London. The purpose of the visit was to go up The Shard and take in the view, which incidentally I can thoroughly recommend. However, as always, the day involved lots of eating!

We began our feasting at Borough Market. A wander through the tempting sights and smells of Londons food market can either make a Coeliac cry with envy or rejoice with happiness. It all depends on whether you know which stalls to head to & which to aviod. While Dale tucked into a huge, crispy, battered, gluten filled fish and chips, I headed off to find some tempting gluten free delights only feeling a little jealous! However, all was not lost and my spirits were soon lifted! Total Organics Salad Bar offered a range of pick and mix salads all of which were gluten free and a bargain! Fill the box for £4.50!



Ok, please ignore the slightly scary photo of me and focus your attention to the tasty box of sweet potato and pepper/onion/courgette mix! Fab choice of salads at Total Organics and definitely worth a visit. Tasty, healthy and very filling. Please be aware that not all salads are always gluten free but the staff are knowledgeable about their food as it is all freshly made. They are always happy to advise!

As many of you will know, no meal is complete without pudding! I live by the motto "Cake is for life, not just for birthdays"!! So, my next stop was an obvious choice....




The Free From Bakehouse is a well know gluten free favourite. They always provide tempting sweet treats as well as a few savoury. On previous visits I have indulged in red velvet cupcakes, shortbread, fig orange and cardamom cake but today the chocolate brownie with white choc and raspberry chunks was a winner!




Great cake and at the price of £2.50 some might say a little pricey. However, when you compare to the prices of Starbucks over the road, I know where I would rather my money went! More than happy to support The Free From Bakehouse in their mission to supply tasty Free From Cake.

As our day chugged along nicely we found ourselves at the Tate Britain. I just wanted to take a moment to say how impressed I was to see 3 gluten free cake options in their coffee shop. Sadly, I did not sample as I knew dinner was looming but it's always good to know there is a choice!

So, evening arrived and here is the real jewel in the crown! After reading about Cotto restaurant online, I knew it was where I wanted to celebrate my birthday. This restaurant is truly a Coeliacs dream! Run by a Coeliac Italian, pretty much the whole menu is either gluten free or has a gluten free version! How exciting to be faced with a whole menu, I didn't know where to start!



Have a look
 www.italiancotto.co.uk 

Not only is there a huge amount of choice, there is no secret. They offer gluten free food and they shout it from the rooftops! Hurrah! At last, a restaurant proud to be gluten free! Dale enjoyed ordering from the regular menu and I certainly enjoyed ordering from the GF one! I revelled in the opportunity of being able to have a GF roll with my dinner. Admittedly, you have to pay a little more for the GF versions but goodness me, it's worth it! I was reluctant to order pizza after jaw breaking experiences in Pizza Express but when the owner explained he bakes his own bread and pizza bases I was sold! 

Here is the GF Salami pizza. Crispy edge, soft and tasty middle.....no jaw breaking here! The staff were friendly and helpful and I spoke to the owner at great length about being a Coeliac. Another brownie point was earned when he explained he has 2 kitchens, one for cooking the regular menu and one for cooking the gluten free menu! No chance of cross contamination here. I cannot wait to go back! Cotto have certainly gained a new regular in me and I cannot encourage you enough to pay a visit. If not just for the delicious food then please go to support a restaurant that is doing great work in the world of GF! In fact.....stop reading this now.....look up the website.......and...get....booking!! (Not this week though, they are closed for hols lol)

Well.... This marks the end of my first official blog! Really hope I manage to post it in one piece....I'm definitely learning as I go along! As patient as Dale is at the mo with my endless questions I fear the novelty of him being a tech-y whizz may soon run out so here's hoping I get into the swing of it soon!

Thank you so much for reading, your support really does mean a lot! Please look me up next week when I hope to have another contribution that should see me taking gluten free bday cake into work, having a gf dinner party and generally just trying to survive the first week back at school! Wish me luck...!!! x













































2 comments: