Friday 4 September 2015

Life Unexpected

So, Sunday is my birthdaaaaaay! As I hit the big 3-6, I thought I had seen it all! Who'd have thought I'd be proved wrong by a supermarket .....and Tesco at that?! Dale works for Sainsbury's and I have spent the last few days fraternising with the enemy! Let me explain....

Some of you may have seen my Twitter feed over the last week trying to locate a Tesco (or Marks.... I'm not proud!) ready made, boxed birthday cake! Yes, I could make my own but I'm sure you, my fellow Free Fromers, will understand I realllllllllly wanted that shop bought, thick icing-y, buttercreamy moist cakey, ready made treat that I have not experienced for the past five years!

Sooooo to cut a long story short, the lovely Liam from Lea Valley Tesco jumped into my Twitter feed and suggested his equally lovely wages clerk (Miriam) would be happy to pick up said cake from another store and bring it to Lea Valley for collection....great service right?! (It gets better!). I rock up to Tesco to collect now famous cake and to meet the lovely Liam, only to find him striding towards me with my cake, in a party bag, with a bow and Tesco "have taken care of it for me"?!?! 


Genuinely lost for words and so thrilled! Never expected such a treat! Woohoooo for Tesco (sorry Dale!)  and I can't wait to sample (and review it!) on Sunday!

Anyway, on with the blog.....

Something else that fits into the "unexpected" category is decent sized GF bread.....decent sized GF bread that doesn't go into holes (and tastes good!) yep, you heard right! Well gone Genius (www.geniusglutenfree.com) for your great triple seeded sandwich bread and for giving me back the gift of proper toast!!


Unexpected treats can be discovered anywhere! Look what I found lurking in my cupboard


I bought these Foods of Athenry (www.foodsofathenry.ie) ages ago in my Freego (www.freego.com) order and they do as they say on the packet! Perfect little chocolately cookie shots for when you "have the need". Only trouble is, they really are little and very addictive! Consequently.....they don't last long!!

Hands up who likes Venice Bakery (www.shop.venicebakery.co.uk) pizza bases and flat breads?!


Hands up who's rubbish at wrapping stuff up in wraps...


...(it all feel apart!!).

Hands up who knew you can toast them and make tortilla chip thingies to dip...


...well, now you know! 

Not sure how may of my lovely readers are local but I nipped into Occo in Enfield Town last week. Been in once before ages ago but was so pleased I re visited. They offer GF and even advertise it (shocker!) but aside from that they are super clued up about cross contamination, with covered cakes, seperate toasters, grills etc! It was lovely to order the same food as my gluten eating friend 


and I even had a choice of cake for pudding! I went for the caramel and white choc cake which I believe was also dairy free!


I got a bit carried away and even took one of these home


Hadn't seen this brand before (www.heavenlycakes.co.uk) but I will be looking out for them again. This bar was divine and definitely appealed to my very sweet tooth!

Well, speaking of Life Unexpected I met with my dietician yesterday to discuss some "issues" I've been having! She suggested I try the dreaded Low FODMAP diet before re introducing foods again. So, my plan is to enjoy my birthday trip to Paris tomorrow, have my Pizza Express meal out on Sunday (along with my bday cake!!) and embark on this new project from Monday. I fear my blogs may be rice cake  related over the next few weeks but I will do my best to find as many suitable treats as I can! Any tips or advice will be REALLY appreciated! Thanks and have a great fortnight! xx (@lizpice79)









2 comments:

  1. Oooh what was that Betty Bakes one!? It looks good!
    Happy birthday for Sunday!! How sweet was that of Tesco!? Did you have a good birthday??
    I'm quite interested in those Venice Bakery wraps. How soft were they? And I like to use the Newburn Bakehouse to make tortilla chips to go with my chilli. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty Bakes Millionaire shortbread and it was delicious! look out for them! I couldn't believe how kind Tesco were, it was such a surprise. I had a lovely day thank you. We went to Paris for the day before and then spent my actual bday recovering ha ha! The wraps were quite nice although I didn't eat them at their freshest hence it falling apart as I wrapped! Tasted "wrap like" so that good! I love their pizza bases, have you tried those? Oooo, that's a good idea, I like Newburn Bakehouse wraps, I should give that a go!

    ReplyDelete